Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 JKU (Recon edition) that has an aftermarket lift installed. What is the best way to determine the amount of lift? I will say this, i took measurements on another 2018 Recon edition and i was only like 3/4" taller. My jeep has 35's and hers has stock tires....so it doesn't make any sense to me. I should be an inch taller just from the tires alone. Am i missing something?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new with Jeeps but have a '73 Chevy 3/4 T with a 4" lift that I know is lifted because: 1]I can see it and 2]It had big blocks lifting the rear above the axle. Thusly, I would say that if your Jeep is only about big tired rig is only 3/4" higher than a stock one with shorter tires than either: 1]The stock one is not stock, or 2]Yours did not get lifted.

This is just me sitting here reading your post and looking at the 2 photos...might be different opinion if I was standing next to your rig and the other one you measured it against.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I1]The stock one is not stock, or 2]Yours did not get lifted.
i agree, thats why i am confused. Why would the previous owner replace expensive parts in the suspension, for any reason other than to lift it?. He only put 13,000 miles on this vehicle, btw. And the silver colored parts are not Mopar parts. i don't get it. the one i measured against was stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I suppose only the previous owner can answer that question and I guess your issue is whether or not the way the jeep sits is what you want and will do what you want it to do...there are so many suspension options out there, good luck! One side of the fence says keep it as low as possible because of center of gravity issues on the steep stuff but get is as high as you need to clear the big stuff. I just ordered a 2021 Rubi with the 35" tire package which Jeep says has a 1.5" lift. I won't be doing anything really radical (at least for now) so we shall see how it works on what I want to do.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose only the previous owner can answer that question and I guess your issue is whether or not the way the jeep sits is what you want and will do what you want it to do...there are so many suspension options out there, good luck! One side of the fence says keep it as low as possible because of center of gravity issues on the steep stuff but get is as high as you need to clear the big stuff. I just ordered a 2021 Rubi with the 35" tire package which Jeep says has a 1.5" lift. I won't be doing anything really radical (at least for now) so we shall see how it works on what I want to do.
the jeep is fine the way it is and is a good rock crawler. i just want know what it has. i'm pretty sure even 37's would not rub, but obviously the fenders have a lot to do with that as well. i just know there are methods for determining an unknown lift height. I have read them before, somewhere. that is what i am seeking here....even if the math turns out to indicate zero inches. i still want the information.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
You could compare the measured distance from the center of the wheel/axle to the same body point on a stock jeep.
Since your fenders are not stock in the rear, maybe you could measure from the center of the rear axle/wheel to the top of the body where the hard top sits.
Then compare that to a stock jeep.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The problem is that Sahara's came with taller suspension than a sport, Rubicon a little taller than a Sahara if I remember the Recon was anther 1/2 inch. So if the previous owner installed a 2.5 inch lift, which would have been true 2.5 for a sport, it could end up being lower on a Recon.
Confusing , yes. So if you want a lift you have to phone the manufacture and ask what it is based off of. And make sure it is for your engine size and a 4 or 2 door..

·
2,020 Posts
I would go have fun conducting my own tests for a week in Moab and call it a Moab lift. I was with a friend that did Golden Spike in a stock four door Rubi.

·
3,746 Posts
The weight of the jeep can make the lift shorter as well. Perhaps the other jeep is lighter and yours is heavier.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is that Sahara's came with taller suspension than a sport, Rubicon a little taller than a Sahara if I remember the Recon was anther 1/2 inch. So if the previous owner installed a 2.5 inch lift, which would have been true 2.5 for a sport, it could end up being lower on a Recon.
Confusing , yes. So if you want a lift you have to phone the manufacture and ask what it is based off of. And make sure it is for your engine size and a 4 or 2 door..
it almost seems like the previous owner may have selected poorly and ended up with a lift that didn't (didn't lift i mean). what a waste, but that would explain it.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
I don't know if it's the angle of the picture, but the rear axle in the second picture looks like it is not centered in the wheel well. Like the control arms are too short

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if it's the angle of the picture, but the rear axle in the second picture looks like it is not centered in the wheel well. Like the control arms are too short
You might be right. i just measured my wheel base at 115". it should be 116" it was fortuitous for you to point that out, because it made me look at my control arms and i noticed a nut missing. only thing keeping the bolt in was the bumpstop.

here is another photo, sure looks like it is supposed to be back another inch...look at the top and bottom parts of the bumpstop.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just learned that the numbers on the springs indicate a 3.5" lift from Rubicon Express, so still confused why it doesn't seem to be lifted. i might have to measure that other Jeep again.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Could be the springs are settled.

I literally had the same thing happening to me on my driver rear lower control arm. I tightened that beotch down before I lost mine.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I was going to mention the AEV install instructions, like quoted above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts