Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Yep noticed that unsafe looking support for that jack stand, before I started added another block. I'll prove it with another pic.

I have a question about the mount holes for the bars.

The one in question is the upper trackball mount. The hole looks circular and not oval but is larger than the bolt front and back sides. Bolt can be rattles around when I place it. Should the mount hole be tight on the bolt? Looks like the hole is is larger than the bolt by design???

Is there a measurement spec for the mount holes somewhere? In other words how can I tell it it's size is not factory and made oversize to the bolt?

Should I find two washers to weld on that make the bolt a tight fit? Thanks for your help.

Edit: found this video

Edit #2: Found info that I can just upgrade the bolts to M14 grade 8 with shoulder and washers and tighten up the Track bar. Think I will do that first as the time and expense weld up something is too much if the bolt and washer upgrade will do the job. bolts and washers here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q6FIQ0/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

·
3,430 Posts
That trackbar hole should fit the bolt properly, not loose

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
What Don said (Mouse.) Is the trackbar hole the same diameter as the bracket hole? Some after market trackbars use a larger diameter bolt. If a larger diameter bolt will fit and eliminate the slop, that's a good fix.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Don't worry bob, that was a temporary lift to get out the passenger ramp, it was done right and safe. Only pic I had.

Just saying the jeep was up for at least two weeks. Had some order problems and reorders.

Now a report. No more death wobble and drives tight, like new. Replace ball joints, track bar and track bar bolts, tie-rod, and drag link. Did all the work myself except for tire balance, rotation and alignment.

Proof I got the wheels back on;) Genoa Peak Nevada looking west over Lake Tahoe, the Rubicon Trail is far left on the other side of the lake. June 21, 2020

·
3,430 Posts
Awesome job. Would love to hear (and see) a trip report from the trail.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Awesome job. Would love to hear (and see) a trip report from the trail.
The Genoa Peak Trail goes along Lake Tahoe's south east rim. It's only 13 miles but doing some side roads makes it about 20 miles of high Sierra beautiful country and views.

Near the south end of the trail is a crash site, 1964 constellation tried to land at south Tahoe airport and was called off due to winter storm and they then tried to fly to Reno by going through a pass but missed it by a few hundred feet and hit the top of the ridge. All 86 passengers and crew died, the second worse USA crash at the time.

Great trail to do if your in the Tahoe area, considered easy with a few moderate spots needing high clearance.

Pic - Across the lake is the city of South Lake Tahoe shared by Nevada and California. Pic 2- This is a popular trail and the authorities have put up barriers to save the landscape. Too many yahoos rip up the land.

In the crash site zone many memorials, now weather worn show that many have come to pay respects to the lost loved ones.

Genoa peak trail map

Attachments

·
3,430 Posts
Looks like a nice trail with great views!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts