Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funeral was at 3:30pm this afternoon.

Viewing was at 3:45 pm:

I am sad. I'm without my Jeep for a few weeks while it gets a new long block.

It threw a P0305 code two weeks ago on top of a mountain. It had an intermittent misfire. P0305 turns out to be a cylinder 5 misfire. Up until this point, it has pretty much ran flawless for its 27,800 miles.

Monday I changed the plugs and the problem still existed, so my thought was whatever issue it had might be covered under warranty so I dumped it at the local Jeep dealer this past week. After working on it, they believed it to be a coil rail, so they ordered a new one and installed it. It started acting even more odd after the new coil rail.... now it randomly misfired on all except cyl 5.... and started making some internal noise, and would run OK until it warmed up some. Due to the randomness of what it was doing, they decided to pull the head and see WTH was going on inside.

They tore in to it today and called me. They asked if I wanted to hear the good news of bad news first.

I opted for the "good news", which was "it's going to need a complete new Long Block."

Bad news.... it's 7-10 days out because they have to get it shipped from Michigan.

Here's what they found:

Cylinder 5 exhaust lifter is a little shorter than the others: :JerryC: :JerryC: :JerryC:

It was totally dished out, and the cam looked just as bad according to the mechanic.

He also pointed out how some of the valves were pitted, as well as some of the seats on the head.

Pics aren't that great because the shop wasn't lit very will in the corner where the funeral occurred.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add that in regards to the good news being "it needs a new long block" ties in with the fact that this is covered by the 7/70 powertrain warranty on my 2004. :D

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wsm04rubi said:
Weird. Any idea what caused it?
No idea at all.... it is very weird for sure. Why one lifter/cam lobe would crap out and destroy each other is very odd. I suppose it's anyone's guess which part failed first resulting in the destruction of the other.

Equally odd is how it's ran fine up until it threw the P0305 Code.

The only comment the mechanic had was in regards to the pitting on some of the valves and seats. He asked "if it runs at idle speed a lot" I said, it does run at lower RPMs on trails, but it's always on low range, which keeps the revs up above idle.

All my trail runs involve highway speeds get to and from the trail areas, so it's not like it sees a high percentage of trail RPMs. Some of the exhaust ports were carboned up

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
bummer Doug, at least it's covered under the warranty. i just ran a BG fuel service on mine last week to clean some of the junk out. I couldnt believe the black junk (carbon deposits) that blew out the exhaust

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric said:
bummer Doug, at least it's covered under the warranty. i just ran a BG fuel service on mine last week to clean some of the junk out. I couldn't believe the black junk (carbon deposits) that blew out the exhaust
I should probably consider doing the same in the future.

I do run a bottle of the Chevron Techroline (or whatever it's called) injector cleaner through it on occasion. I get it in a 4 pack at Costco.

Still baffled how this problem happened. I don't abuse the motor at all Don't think it's ever seen higher than 3500 RPM. Obviously it is something that "just happened" and would have come up regardless of how it was or wasn't maintained.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I am about to pull my 4.0 apart as well and it's my #5 cylinder misfiring... I wonder if the lifter will look like yours?

Mine ran well until the end, started a case with Chrysler but they don't seem to want to help at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
bbusch said:
started a case with Chrysler but they don't seem to want to help at all.
There's a big surprise!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine. Lifter looks just like a couple of mine did @ ~45k. I changed to a crane cam & lifters...then got rid of the 4.0L and grabbed a 5.9 8)

What oil were you running?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SInce I don't drive it much, I think I've only changed the oil 4 times... two of those changes were with Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic.

Prior to knowing the real deal of what I should be running, I did two changes with Castrol 10w/30. prior to that, it was owned by someone else and I don't know what was used since I bought it used, in pristine condition, from a dealer. it had 12k on it when I bought it 4 years ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting.

I purchased my jeep with 17K and ran only mobile 1 in it until I had a cam and lifter failure. Likely Mobile 1 is not completely to blame, but I no longer purchase mobile 1 products. After I fixed the 4.0L I ran Valvoline Blue. In my 5.9L (roller cam) I now run valvoline synthetic.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That pic of the wasted lifter was enough for me to sign up for Valvoline's warranty. I've been using the Max Life 10w-30 for the most recent oil changes at 3-4k anyway, so I figured at a little over 70k and no factory warranty anymore, what the heck.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
desertfox1 said:
I don't abuse the motor at all Don't think it's ever seen higher than 3500 RPM.
That may be the issue, you need to rap it out sometimes. The flat tapets have to rotate to wear evenly, to get them to rotate, you need to toss some RPMs at it. (I am acting like I know what I am talking about, but I only just read this on another thread a few days ago) The cam has a slight angle on the lobes to cause the rotation of the tapits, this only works when the motor is screamed out. I have red-lined mine a few time for very short amounts of time, but never found the limiter. I just manualy shift my auto to first gear then mash the gas til red line, hit second gear to redline, hit drive to redline then it shifts on its own from there, and most of the fun stops.

·
Registered
256 Posts
They give you an entire new long block for a bad camshaft and lifter? I'm surprised. That's pretty good though, you're basically getting a new engine.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KingRubiconMan said:
They give you an entire new long block for a bad camshaft and lifter? I'm surprised. That's pretty good though, you're basically getting a new engine.
They said the head need rebuilt due to pitted valves and seats, so it made sense just to throw in a new long block as opposed to a short block, since it was a warranty deal.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
kevin719 said:
I feel your pain desertfox, glad you got one covered under warranty, makes me wonder why the 04 & 05's had a 7/70 and my 06 was only offered a 3/36 warranty :shh: , ya think Chrysler new something was going on.
You aren't covered under the federal 7/70 emissions warranty?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts