Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install a dana 30 in their rubicon? retubing my bent 44 and the pinion looks to be shorter on the 30 i have to keep me drivable. I'm hoping the rubicon driveline will work.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
In your other thread, it was suggested to remove your bent D44 tube and replace it with a Dana 30 tube. Are you asking in this thread about replacing a Dana 44 assembly with a Dana 30 assembly?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will be installing the dana 30 assembly to pull the 44 for retubing , WJ high steer install with 12 inch brake rotors and CVs. Its also a daily driver ( for now) so I can not have down time. Live in the San Bernardino Mtns so Ill need 4wd. time laps of my place

·
Registered
895 Posts
Your rubicon came with a 4.10 gear ratio. Most d30's are not 4.10, do you know what ratio your donor diff is?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to regear the 30 to 4.88 assuming its not already. axle shafts were already removed from the 44 to make it drivable, one was dragging on the inside. rebuilding the 99 4runner rear assembly this weekend. welcome to come by if you have the time. can pms be sent on this forum

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Replaced my 44 with a 30 permanently. 30 spline shafts and an ARB air locker. I have one of original 5000 '03s, parts are extinct and 2020 didn't help availability. I now have an axle stronger than stock with an inch extra clearance under the diff. Stock locker button works also through a relay and an onboard air supply.
Tire Cloud Vehicle Car Wheel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice.heck...Did your Rubicon drive shaft connect to the 30 ok ? I've had my 03 since march of 04. wish the arb's would work at lower pressures. do not have much of a choice though with no oem parts available

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
You’ve asked the question about drive shaft compatibility a couple of times.
I believe the yokes are different size so you’ll have to change the ujoint.. Drive shafts are the same length.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't check in much. Unfortunately, the 6 month old new driveshaft for the 44 did not fit. Another $450 and Tom Woods to the rescue.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
the donor is 3.07s maybe from a 1999, 52099227AB. Iv had 4.88 in mine since 05. 4.88s will have to go in with a better carrier.
The 4 cylinder jeeps of that vintage came with a 4.10 stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts