Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received the SGI-5C today. Have a couple questions regarding installation of the unit.

1: What color is the signal wire on the transfer case connector that I tap into? I have on 06 LJ Rubicon.

2: What output do I use? I have read a few write ups and one says Out 2, the other says Out 3, and when I spoke with Dakota Digital they said Out 1

So anyone who has installed this, what output did you use?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm Must not be alot of folks with this unit. I will have to try and take pics during the install. I will have to pull the speed sensor plug and test the wires to find the sensor signal. Hopefully I will be able to do a little writeup that way in the future the info will be know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I tried the install today, but had no luck getting it working after playing with it for 2hours. I now believe I was tapping into the wrong wire, I tried the light blue wire and the orange wire, however the SGI-5 still wasn't getting the signal, I just did some more research and it looks like the correct wire is the only one a did not try. :banghead: Its the dark blue with orange stripe wire. Thankfully when I cut the other wires I left enough to rejoin the wires with connectors and then heat shrinked and taped them back up.
I will attempt again tomorrow with the correct wire and see how that goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any luck with the install? I was looking into SGI-5C, but might go with Superchip's programmer. I know it's more expensive, but you do get the programability with the speedo correction.

Although I am for the cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK update on the install. Finally got it working. It helps to make sure you tap into the correct wire. LOL
On my 06 LJ Rubicon it was a Dark Blue wire with an Orange stripe. I cut the wire and ran the sensor side of the wire to the input terminal of the SGI-5. Then used OUT2 on the SGI-5 and connected it to the other side of the cut wire. (The side that goes to the PCM) Connected the ground and 12V switch leads to the SGI-5.
I then set the dip switches on the SGI-5 to the following: 1 on, 2,3,4 off.
The unit works like a charm. I still have to fine tune the unit so it reads correctly. I'm still 2-3mph off @ 55mph. I just didn't have enough time on my lunch break to get the fine tuning done. Got the Tom-Tom unit charging and after work will go for a drive on the highway to really dial it in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just another update. I found that i could not adjust the speedometer to read fast enough. I found that i also had to set the #4 dip swith to on also. Then set the course adjustment to 2 and the fine to 8. After the change the speedometer is dead on as compared with the GPS unit.
In all itnwas very easy to hook up and adjust. Of course after i got the correct speed sensor wire lol

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Be warned that there is a known issue of the unit causing your speedo to shoot to 100mph at 13mph which will cause the rev limiter to kick in. It's rare but can be very annoying off-road. They told me to ground the unit, speedometer and the computer to the same location. I did it and it has reduced the number of occurrences but it still happens occasionally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of this issue, however reportedly that "spike" issue was in the original SGI-5 unit. With the SGI-5C revision, which is the one I have, they made a firmware change to solve the issue. So far no spikes. So hopefully I wont see any issues with that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased mine from Summit Racing. Cost me $81.90 shipped. But I did have a coupon code for 10% off. Ordered it on Wednesday afternoon and received it Friday morning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tigger said:
Be warned that there is a known issue of the unit causing your speedo to shoot to 100mph at 13mph which will cause the rev limiter to kick in. It's rare but can be very annoying off-road. They told me to ground the unit, speedometer and the computer to the same location. I did it and it has reduced the number of occurrences but it still happens occasionally.
Tigger, What revision is your SGI-5 unit? I have actually found there are 4 revisions. The original SGI-5, then the SGI-5A, SGI-5B, and the current SGI-5C. Also what output are you using and what ore your dip switch settings? I'm just wondering because it appears as though there are a few configurations that work.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Maxxram said:
Tigger said:
Tigger, What revision is your SGI-5 unit? I have actually found there are 4 revisions. The original SGI-5, then the SGI-5A, SGI-5B, and the current SGI-5C. Also what output are you using and what ore your dip switch settings? I'm just wondering because it appears as though there are a few configurations that work.
I used the Out 2. Dip switch settings were 1 on, 2,3 &4 off. I am not sure what version I have. Wasn't even aware there were different ones until you mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Just an update on this. I have continued to have the speed jump problem at 11-13mph. Tried all the grounding suggestions. Nothing helped.
I had the SGI-5C model. Just sent it back for a flash upgrade to the new firmware so I assume there was something newer. Will install it today and see if the issue has been resolved.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't had a single issue with spikes on my unit. Hopefully you will get your figured out. Where do you have your box mounted? I have mine mounted behind the glove box on the right attached to the heating duct. Don't know if it really makes a difference where the box is mounted.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Mine is behind the glove box velcroed to the top. Just got it in and set up. I had written down which wire went where but then tossed the paper so had to try a few combination's to get it to work. Took a couple trips up and down the freeway between exits to get it dialed in but it is now right on the money.
Just have to wait and see if the spikes don't come back. They were very random so it will be a month or two before I know for sure as we don't drive the Jeep often enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has this issue been completely fixed ?
mom having trouble on 2 rubicons , please let me know for sure before I go buying things I don’t need lol

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
Has this issue been completely fixed ?
mom having trouble on 2 rubicons , please let me know for sure before I go buying things I don’t need lol
You should start a new thread and detail your problems instead of replying to a 10 year old thread. And we prefer that responses be made in the thread and not in a private email in most situation. The idea here is to help the community at large with responses.

Also, please introduce yourself in the new member section.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts