Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed cruise control and it took me all of 20 minutes. The jeep was prewired so it made it very easy to install.

I got the kit off of ebay from jeepsareus.com for $175 plus shipping.

I want to be able to install one of those electronic winch/throttle controllers so that is why I did it.

Now all I need is the winch :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I installed one of the original factory accessory cruise back in '98 when they first came out, made lots of notes to Chrysler about it. Namely wire color codes didn't match between instructions and actual, and pictures were correct, but instructions told you to do it the other way. Took me about 3 hours, so I think they finally got it right. Good job.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
good job!!

im in the same boat...just need the winch.

:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kit came with a wire harness and after reading the directions I thought I was in for an all day event trying to wire it up. I popped the hood and saw the connector all ready there and was very releaved to see it.

If your jeep is all ready wired for it then all you need is the control switches on the steering wheel and the vacuum servo/bracket. You might be able to get them off a wrecked jeep for less then the kit.

PBR Stitch said:
I installed one of the original factory accessory cruise back in '98 when they first came out, made lots of notes to Chrysler about it. Namely wire color codes didn't match between instructions and actual, and pictures were correct, but instructions told you to do it the other way. Took me about 3 hours, so I think they finally got it right. Good job.

Ron

·
Registered
561 Posts
hats cool that it was a nice simple plug and play install. Back when I threw in hardtop wiring for my 97...it was kind of tedious, wished they had made a "plug and play" style harness for that.

BTW I have the TWc w/ no winch as of now...hopefully soon:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought the cruise control kit for the '03, for $130.00, from JeepsAreUs.com.
Due to the prewiring, on the '03's, it is definitely "plug and play"

·
Registered
340 Posts
I looked at about a dozen Rubicons sitting on dealers lots and none had cruise. When I ordered mine I made sure to have the cruise added. Those little things make the vehicle much nicer to own and don't really affect the price.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vulcan said:
Those little things make the vehicle much nicer to own and don't really affect the price.
I agree.
It makes it much easier for me to avoid speeding tickets.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Use my cruise everyday. May even do that winch kit when I get my 9.5ti.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
After 16 speeding tickets and 3 supsensions my lawyer told me to marry my cruise control......10yrs later I am still happily married.... :D

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
If you have a 2003, it is supposed to be prewired, so all you need to do is get the kit and plug it in.
Earlier TJs did not have this and alot of time required a wiring harness to go with the cruise kit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bjeepin2 said:
so how can i tell if it is pre wired
All 2003 Wranglers are prewired for cruise control.
The plugin wiring harness is near the master cylinder.
If you buy from http://www.jeepsareus.com, tell them you don't need the wiring harness and you'll save $30, plus the hard part of the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts