Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the skinny on them? Seems to be an enormous difference in prices, I can tell part due to volts, part due to "pinned anvil" (don't have a clue as to what that means). Do they hold up? How long do charges last? How's the Craftsman one? Give me the good, bad, & ugly. I know DSR uses snap ons and they abuse the crap out of them but then again I don't forsee myself tearing down and rebuilding an engine twice a day every weekend day.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,107 Posts
I have the Milwaukee 18V and really like it.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
Dewalt 18 volt here. I rarely use it but the battery lasts a while.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a craftsman C3 19.2V I bought it this past summer and I have used it a few times and so far so good. I never really planned on using it for major repair work, just for swapping out wheels and tires and maybe trail repairs. for the price I thought it was well worth it. I wasnt willing to pay the price for a snap on one, or even the price of a dewalt. but on sale for the craftsman the price was do able for me.
so far for the tire changes I have done with it, it works for me. I cant really give you a true idea on battery life because my uses are so few and far between. as long as the battery is charged I have had no issues with it taking the wheels off my jeep.
give me a few weeks and I can probably give you a better idea because I plan on using it for swapping engines on my neon.

if you get one of these, STAY AWAY from the LI-ION C3 batteries. I have read nothing but bad reviews on them. I have 3 of the NI-CAD batteries and I also have a few other tools that use the same battery (sawzall,circular saw, drill, vacuum, and fluorescent work light) everything I have used em for seems ok so far. never used the circ saw tho.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
1982cj7 said:
I haev a Snap-on that is about 4-5 years old, very good product but expensive compared to others.
X2 I use the Snap On 18v and abuse the crap out of it, A little steep price wise but if I ever blow it up its under warranty. the newer style batteries seem to last better than the older variety. I get about an hour under heavy use and my cordless drill takes the same battery. I have 5 batteries 2 of which need rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have an Ingersoll Rand IQv 19.2V cordless impact set. The price is steep, but with 360 ft-lbs of torque, its a beast!!!

Specs:
360 ft.-lbs. max reverse torque.
Less than 6.2 lbs. with Lithium-Ion battery.
1650 RPM, 2200 BPM.
Starter Pack includes:
W360 1/2" Hog Ring Square Impactool
(2) BL192 Lithium Ion 19.2V Battery
BC10 Universal IQV Charger
Hard Case

I like it better and use it way more than the Craftsman air impact I have also. with two batteries, i never run out of juice. I can take all my tires off around 4 times before i can tell the battery is draining. The battery will re-charge in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW, I worked in tools at Sears for a while and my advice is stay away from the Craftsmen cordless stuff. It works good for very limited and light use, but it is not a long term tool. As soon as they break you may as well throw them away... and forget getting new batteries for them also, for the price of a replacement battery you can nearly buy a new impact.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Eric said:
1982cj7 said:
I haev a Snap-on that is about 4-5 years old, very good product but expensive compared to others.
X2 I use the Snap On 18v and abuse the crap out of it, A little steep price wise but if I ever blow it up its under warranty. the newer style batteries seem to last better than the older variety. I get about an hour under heavy use and my cordless drill takes the same battery. I have 5 batteries 2 of which need rebuilt or replaced.

As for replacement batteries, check out a place called Battery Bank (http://www.batterybankonline.com). I needed to replace the rechargeable batteries for my cordless drill awhile back and they had the best prices I could find.

·
Registered
669 Posts
FLsaltlife said:
FWIW, I worked in tools at Sears for a while and my advice is stay away from the Craftsmen cordless stuff. It works good for very limited and light use, but it is not a long term tool. As soon as they break you may as well throw them away... and forget getting new batteries for them also, for the price of a replacement battery you can nearly buy a new impact.
not disputing it. however with the C3 line which is what the impact is, the replacement nicad batts are only like 30 bux

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
There is a difference. Last year I worked weekends (am an Industrial Equipment mech IRL) at a junkyard for extra cash. I played with just about every different model of impact there was, since everybody had to bring their own. None would compare to the snap on in being able to get bolts off.
http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/ct6855_npa.pdf

However if you are just going to use it to piddle around in the garage once in a while, get whichever one is the cheapest.

·
Registered
669 Posts
so far no complaints on my craftsmen 19.2V. havent really used it non stop enough to run a battery dead in one sitting but so far so good.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
If I bought one of these how can I charge it on the Jeep?

Can I use an inverter? Do they make a 12V charger for these? I can see having a impact in the Jeep, but once the battery is dead the thing is just added weight.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always carry my inverter to run my laptop, grinder if need be, and to charge up my drop light which doubles as my camping lantern.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts