Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a new build house in Utah. Its got a great 3-car garage. I have dreams of many projects. But, before I get everything settles, I'm thinking of coating the floor with a sealer to prevent any oil leaks from staining it. I've done a little reading, but not found anything conclusive as what would be a good choice for a floor that will see weld spatter as well as the occasional oil leak.

Does anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey Mouse,

I missed my opportunity to do my floor when I built a new garage and added room for a work shop. Despite trying to keep the floor looking good it has oil stained spots all over now. Funny how the kids don't think much of putting down some card board or something. I know I can strip it clean and use the epoxy stuff but just haven't got to it as it is full of heavy work benches and storage.

I would say it is a good idea to do it now.

One more thing, I read a review a few years back that stuck with me. If you do use the epoxy don't use the flake speckle stuff. If you drop a nut or some small part it will disappear. I'm doing that now with my oil spots LOL.

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas - I'll do some more reading and follow up when I select something.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
the garagejournal forum has lots of topics on the topic, probably too many.

looking forward to the results, I will need to strip and refinish before I coat. One thing I remember reading, none deal well with welding sparks and such things.

congrats on the new place.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My shop epoxy coated floor is now 15 years old and is the best thing I did for my shop. Now days there are several products using a poly compound that have good reviews.
Epoxy probably will chip more than the new poly coatings. Epoxy can be a DIY project with manufactures instructions. Buy epoxy at any paint store Stay away from the big box stores.
Unless the home has unused concrete then Grinding is recommended. For new concrete just acid before coating and you will be good. Just like any coating the prep is the most important.
My Mx vacation home has smooth tile floor and it chips badly, but cost less than epoxy down there. Probably not an option due to high price for tile in the states.
PaulW

·
10,121 Posts
I had a pro look at my floor since my last house kept having the coating come off due to hot tires. He took one look at the oil spots (Exon Valdez hit a rock) and told me that it would be better to just do rubber tiles vice trying to coat it. When I built a new house I had the garage and front porch epoxy texture coated by a local company. The money was well spent, no hot tire pickup, no chips from dropped tools, oil wipes right off, pressure spray the grime off and it looks nearly brand new. Go see a paint store (i.e. sherwin williams) and pay the money for the good stuff. Sometimes the trade off in time vs. money is worth having a local company due it. That way you can check their work prior to having it done.

Ron

·
Registered
290 Posts
My grey epoxy shows some discoloration from long parked rigs. The finish is still good but you can see the tread pattern as a light brown color.
Nothing special application was new concrete etched and coated. Sherwin Williams stuff from the paint store.
PaulW

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if stick on floor tiles would work well?
Those would be an easy install. I plan to stop by Sherwin Williams to see what they have to offer as soon as I get some time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my experience your local paint store may not be the best place to get info. Clerks are not well informed on industrial products like we are discussing. My guy whipped out a catalog and started to read me what he found. So I went home and consulted the web site then called the company tech guy.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I did my 3 car garage/shop when it was new with the two part epoxy, gray. Love it ! I used Merica acid to clean the concrete first then the epoxy. I used the commercial kit not the water based stuff. Easy clean up.
I did the same on my new garage floor back in 2000. We prepped with acid and used a two part epoxy. It looked new when wesold the place 8 years later.....except for the weld splatter trails. It did not do well with that.

We did not put any traction/anti slip material in ours a d it was VERY slick when wet. You want to ensure the surface has some "grip" when you do it...it's not good without!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Don I got my kits from Home Depot. About 150 for one kit and it took two to do my shop. Also did the garage and it is hold up very well for over 4 years now. Caution: brake fluid will eatr it up and its an epoxy.

·
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess this thread deserves an update. It's too cold out now to coat the floor. I spent my floor money on a new air compressor, drill press and the scrambler. I'll revisit the floor at a future time. Meanwhile, I'm having fun using the new tools.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I guess this thread deserves an update. It's too cold out now to coat the floor. I spent my floor money on a new air compressor, drill press and the scrambler. I'll revisit the floor at a future time. Meanwhile, I'm having fun using the new tools.

Good Lord don't wait too long. When it gets greasy/dirty it is super hard to get it clean enough so epoxy all stick.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My mancave floor was so uneven due to a lame concrete contractor, that I had to sell the floor epoxy I’d purchased (U-Coat it) to seal the floor.
I settled on Racedeck which covered up my sorry excuse for a garage floor and have been happy with it’s look and resilience. I’d much rather have a nice shiny floor, but life ain’t Burger King.

https://racedeck.com/

https://imgur.com/a/7XHHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts