Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the factory rearview mirror that has the temp / compass yet? The wife seems to think that she needs it and I was just wondering if it's pain in the a$$ to hook up.

Thanks
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't get one but I believe they're fairly easy to install. There's a notch in the plastic windshield frame moulding just above the mirror that the wiring routes through and, I believe, there is existing wiring somewhere in the engine compartment for the compass sensor and power. Maybe someone else can validate this.

I was thinking the other night after removing the hardtop (thus removing any window tinting between me and the egghead motorists behind me) that the auto-dimming feature would be nice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
Mine came with the compass mirror. It's a little bling, but the temp readout is nice in the cold weather to let you know when you're close to icing conditions.

I understand the harness for the mirror is installed in all Rubicons, and is stuck up under the dash, or under the fascia panel at the top front of the dashboard, not in the engine compartment. From there, you run it under the plastic trim on the passenger side A post and under the visor panel to get to the mirror location.

HTH.

Jerry
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys...maybe I'll give that a try when the Rubi shows up in a couple weeks.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, if you haven't taken possession of the Jeep yet you should have the dealer install it. Trust me, they'll still come out ahead.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's going to be the plan since they offered to do it...I just wanted to make sure that it was pretty straight forward and that they weren't going to be tearing everything apart to install the mirror.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
its a useful tool....
when i was in the mountains last dec. snow was falling the temp mirror
showed me it was "ICE" ........wow such a deal
i also like seeing how hot it is outside.. today was 103 driving my kid to piano lesson...

i do like the direction feature.. helps me find which way im going
so far its right on.
:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
i agree with rubired, have the dealer purchase the parts now, and install
it for you, before you take delivery.

the auto-dim feature works great. at night time, it turns all the bright
lights in your rear view mirror into a dim green glow. at least it looks
that way through the rear window on the hard top. during the day, it
is just a normal rear view.

the best feature is the compass. it cant be understated if you are a rock
hound like myself, and do exploring in unknown territory. maps never
seem to get it done, and everyone has had the "lost" feeling right before
sunset, because visibility was 0 that day, and you have no idea which
direction you are driving. say goodbye to that sinking feeling.

Bilbo79
Bugbear
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
StewsTJ said:
Has anyone installed the factory rearview mirror that has the temp / compass yet? The wife seems to think that she needs it and I was just wondering if it's pain in the a$$ to hook up.

Thanks
Here is my link to the install. I don't take credit for all the research that went into it.

Mopar Electronic Compass Mirror

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
4x4mac said:
its a useful tool....
when i was in the mountains last dec. snow was falling the temp mirror
showed me it was "ICE" ........wow such a deal
i also like seeing how hot it is outside.. today was 103 driving my kid to piano lesson...

i do like the direction feature.. helps me find which way im going
so far its right on.
:wink:
Hey Mac ..... The sun rises in the East and sets in the West....and can be seen to the south during the day....HEHEHEHEHE..Just kidding. Me personally I just bought a GPS(I know it works at night)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
LILRDJP said:
4x4mac said:
its a useful tool....
when i was in the mountains last dec. snow was falling the temp mirror
showed me it was "ICE" ........wow such a deal
i also like seeing how hot it is outside.. today was 103 driving my kid to piano lesson...

i do like the direction feature.. helps me find which way im going
so far its right on.
:wink:
Hey Mac ..... The sun rises in the East and sets in the West....and can be seen to the south during the day....HEHEHEHEHE..Just kidding. Me personally I just bought a GPS(I know it works at night)
easy to get lost in the desert..
the mind wanders... start seeing snow...lakes..mermaids.
the temp direction finder helps with reality
:roll:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4x4mac said:
easy to get lost in the desert..
the mind wanders... start seeing snow...lakes..mermaids.
the temp direction finder helps with reality
:roll:
We know that he was really out there looking for Auriel. :lol:

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
4x4mac said:
easy to get lost in the desert..
the mind wanders... start seeing snow...lakes..mermaids.
the temp direction finder helps with reality
:roll:
We know that he was really out there looking for Auriel. :lol:

Ron
Hey there is nothing wrong with that...... Watch the movie again and take a good look at her. She was hot back then.. 8)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered mine with the thermo/compass mirror because I rolled my 2001 TJ on ice last November. I was driving west on I-40, and the temperature was dropping as I climbed out of Albiuquerque. Didn't know I was on ice until it was too late. A fatal mistake for my TJ!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
LILRDJP said:
PBR Stitch said:
4x4mac said:
easy to get lost in the desert..
the mind wanders... start seeing snow...lakes..mermaids.
the temp direction finder helps with reality
:roll:
We know that he was really out there looking for Auriel. :lol:

Ron
Hey there is nothing wrong with that...... Watch the movie again and take a good look at her. She was hot back then.. 8)
still is!
:lol!:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RubiDan said:
I ordered mine with the thermo/compass mirror because I rolled my 2001 TJ on ice last November. I was driving west on I-40, and the temperature was dropping as I climbed out of Albiuquerque. Didn't know I was on ice until it was too late. A fatal mistake for my TJ!
That is a nice feature. I guess I was just thinking that it would give false readings because of a man-made wind chill factor. Oh well, too late now.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a point of information, thermometers don't measure wind chill, just the temperature of the air. Wind chill is that phenomenum of additional cooling that occurs when cold air is passed by a heat source. If the air is not moving, the heat source warms the air in its immediate vicinity, resulting in a lower rate of heat loss. When the air is moving, the air that has been warmed by the heat source is constantly being replaced by cooler air, creating a higher rate of heat loss. This is why cooling our engines can be a concern when the vehicle is crawling and the engine is working hard to pull it over obstacles. In this mode, we are reliant on the effectiveness of the radiator and fan to perform the cooling job.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
RubiDan said:
As a point of information, thermometers don't measure wind chill, just the temperature of the air. Wind chill is that phenomenum of additional cooling that occurs when cold air is passed by a heat source. If the air is not moving, the heat source warms the air in its immediate vicinity, resulting in a lower rate of heat loss. When the air is moving, the air that has been warmed by the heat source is constantly being replaced by cooler air, creating a higher rate of heat loss. This is why cooling our engines can be a concern when the vehicle is crawling and the engine is working hard to pull it over obstacles. In this mode, we are reliant on the effectiveness of the radiator and fan to perform the cooling job.
i have been in the mountains and was in 26 deg weather very dry just cold it never showed the "ICE" warning at that temp.
another time in the same area it was snowing and i saw the temp
change from 37deg to "ICE" it kept saying "ICE"..as the temp dropped towards the lower 30 deg`s
so scince it was not 32 deg as we call zero.. must have picked up wind chill?
or does the mirror know the difference between humid and dry conditions in cold areas ive seen this happen a few times.
:wink:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know my grands ICE warning is set to activate between 37 and 27 degrees. If it goes lower, it just showes the temperature. These are the most common temperatures that ICE can form so hence the ICE warning. Below 27 it is assumed that ICE is already formed. The ICE warning is just that, something to catch our attention to the possibility of a hazardous situation on the road.

Ron
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top