Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,
My wife and I are considering purchasing a 2016 Rubicon and trading in our F150 that we use for everyday use and traveling. We enjoyed trails out in Colorado with a jeep we rented and are looking into buying a Rubicon to do more trailing. We will be trading our "comfy" F150 and my wife is concerned we are giving up comfort for fun.
We are looking for some feedback from the group on what your opinion is regarding the comfort of the ride. The one we are considering has 37" wheels.
We are also considering moving to the mountains in NC so thought this would be a great vehicle that would offer us the versatility on the weekends to go trailing.

·
1,818 Posts
Welcome to ROF!
I’m a 2 door 2004 TJ on 33s. I cut my teeth on an 84 CJ that I lifted 4“, put on 33s from 29s, and re-geared. I had a lot of fun. That being said, I learned some of the negatives of mods.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I would not go from an F150 straight to a Jeep on 37s. My son handed his F150 over to me. I’m familiar with the trade offs. Uggghhh! You may be really pleased or irritated by your decision. Definitely listen to your wife.

Someone else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Was the Jeep you rented comparable to the one you are looking to buy? See if you can get a list of the aftermaket parts on it. There are very cheap ways to put 37" tires on the JKs, I would want to confirm it only has quality parts. That will directly impact how comfortable it is.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Welcome!

Modern Jeeps are much more comfortable than older Jeeps but... When we take a long trip or are not feeling particularly spry, we take our new Ram Limited. As much as I love my Jeep, it's just not as good for trips as the truck.

However, the fact that it is a Jeep, allows me to justify the shortcomings. It is not as quiet, doesn't have the room, and as stated it's not as comfortable, but I love the dang thing. Every so often I get rid of one of my Jeeps, but I always come back to the fold.

There is something about a Jeep.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can get a great ride quality and get it pretty dam quite.
Good suspension system with some bypass shocks will get you the ride quality she wants and the trail performance you want. Then pull interior and dynamat the complete interior. Its not expensive and will really cut the noise down. Need more line the underbelly with Heatsheild products.

This made a huge difference in mine that was LOUD. Now the inside is
fine.

Reactions: KMG and Mouse

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
734 Posts
Is your F150 4x4? Does it have a rear locker?

I have a 2004 Rubicon now and previously had a "comfy" F150. I've driven the newer Jeeps but never owned one. For "everyday use and traveling" I would venture to say the F150 wins hands-down in the comfort department, but as alluded to above, comfort is subjective and everything is relative.

First off, I would wait until you move to the mountains in NC and actually explore the local trails before making a vehicle change based on them. Plus, the F150 will certainly come in more handy during the move itself.

Secondly, assuming your F150 is at least 4x4, and the trails you want to explore are easy, you may want to start off in the F150. You (your wife) will quickly realize the limitations compared to a more purpose-built Rubicon, then you (your wife) can suggest heading over to the Jeep dealer and test driving what they have.

My ideal setup would be a F150 and a Jeep where the Jeep is setup for local trails and I could tow it on a trailer for longer trips. Truck for commuting, Home Depot runs and family road trips, and Jeep for weekend excursions and fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have had Jeeps (CJ, TJ, and now a JK) as my daily drivers and find the upright seating position comfortable and don't mind long road trips. A couple of years ago we sold everything and traveled with a new 5th wheel and a Toyota Tundra. After we found our new home I sold the truck and trailer combo and returned to a 2015 AEV JK as my daily driver. The main reason I got rid of the truck is I couldn't stand using it as a truck by hauling rock, storm debris, firewood etc. It bothers me to damage an expensive vehicle. I purchased a 5'x10' landscape trailer to pull behind my Jeep. For me this is the best combination.
IMG_3782.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts