Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a set of four Daystar 1.75 inch coil spacers for my Con.

Couple of questions

Are they the same ones as for any other TJ, and will I run into issues with over-extending my stock shocks? Oh and, what about the rear driveshaft angle?

Thanx in advance.

:?:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You should be able to use them with the stock shocks. Yes they are the same for any TJ and you will NOT have any problems with DS angles....

I would suggest looking at different shocks though.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running the same Daystar pucks you describe with the stock shocks. Also with a 1" BL and 1" MORE MM lift.
Been running that since October without any vibes or problems - on or off road. Over 9K on odometer.

Cal

·
Registered
85 Posts
A known potential side effect of running spacers is you can overcompress your coil springs if you do not extend your bumpstops. If you flex hard, or go through heavy dips, the coils end up getting compressed more than originally intended- that can be bad. Bumpstops aren't just for clearing tires- they protect your shocks and coils.

This is one of the reasons folks end up with 'sag' in their coils after a relatively short time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put the Daystar 1 3/4" spacers in and my back shocks became useless.
Don't know for sure if they were damaged (although I think so) but the ride sucked!!
Upgraded to MX6s and cured it so far, but no hard wheelin since their install.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spacers Are Installed

Put the 2 inch spacers in last night. I'm pleased with the way she sits, now...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Griz...

Any shock or driveshaft issues with your's so far?

Also...

Did you install extended bumpstops?

I didn't bother, but I did make up a set of spring perch bumpstops from an old set of TJ spare tire spacers I had, for the front end. I glued them to the sping perches with Loctite waterproof rubber/metal adhesive.

Whadda ya think...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rubiconvict said:
Griz...

Any shock or driveshaft issues with your's so far?

Also...

Did you install extended bumpstops?

I didn't bother, but I did make up a set of spring perch bumpstops from an old set of TJ spare tire spacers I had, for the front end. I glued them to the sping perches with Loctite waterproof rubber/metal adhesive.

Whadda ya think...

Cool....That will work. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be going to larger tires very soon, but the main reason I wanted the spacers in there was to get my t-case skid and gas tank another 1 3/4 inches above the rocks.

That alone is more than worth the price to me!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if you put in some longer shocks, you do get more wheel travel as well.... I did 2" coils spacers and a 1" body lift on a Wrangler Rubicon, and run 35" tires with the setup these days. I used 2" wheel spacers as I really like the stock Rubicon wheels. Rides real well, but I need to trim the fender flairs some.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
WrathofRubicon, you have 2" coil spacers and a one inch BL and run 35's! I bet you have no flex at all. You may want to consider a real lift, about 4.5 inches worth!!! :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its actually fair with the sway bars off.. The RE 3.5" Superflex kit leaving the coil spacers and body lift on is planned for early next spring. I did do some new shocks with it as well. lol

Hey it was cheap and allowed me to get up 5' ledges without winching anyways... lol The setup does run a lot better than most expected it to. It should get me by til next spring at least.

Either new wheels with some backspacing or wheel spacers is a must though with the modest setup, I chose 2" wheel spacers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to RT ramp it as it is now, and after I get the 3.5" RE Superflex kit on there.

It just was the cheapest and most logical way to modify it incrementally ending up with a real nice setup with 6" of lift in the end. The 4.5" kits are just to much momey for me to come up with all at once and I would still want more lift than it and a body lift alone would give me.

We certainly all do things in our own order, for our own reasons to get what we want in the end.

I think for xmas, I can get the Klune extreme underdrive I want, and the RE 3.5" Superflex kit for xmas. That only leaves me the cost of drive shafts when I go to put it all on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts