Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a handheld Cobra CB and thought it was a good unit but I didn't like straining to hear the small speaker while driving down the interstate <could've been those BFG M/T 33's wopping down the road>. I ended up returning it and did not get a replacement.

I am now considering the 75WXST handheld unit due to space limitations in the TJ. Does anyone have feedback regarding it? I could see accidentally twisting the volume or squelch while holding it and wheelin'. Also, the speaker looks pretty small and I'm afraid the output will be as bad as my previous handheld (especially on the highway). I'd also like my passengers to be able to hear the output without having to hold it up to their ear.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That is a good choice for a handheld unit. You can attach a external speaker to the box unit that is mounted under the dash and mount it on the roll bar. That will slolve the I can hear you problem.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Justin, I'd like to see how you addressed the space issues in a TJ, but there is nothing on your website except the intro.

As far as a CB and which one, I like the handheld units for the sake of saving space, hearing has been an issue with any that I've had in the past, I mounted my CB on the overhead cross bar of my Rockhard 4x4 cage, it put the speaker right up in front and I can hear it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Is that a CB rack.......or another company?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Griz is right--only intro.
I just bought a hand held Cobra CB but still have my old Cobra classic waiting to be installed some place. Had it mounted on my dash on the old TJ but not to keen on doing it with the Rubi. The hand held is good for when you are outside your jeep spotting or durring winching operations and communicating with the driver but I still need to find a place for the Classic to be mounted!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
on my 2k I had cut out a notch in the center consol in front of the t-case selector and mounted it under the dash. I will see if I can find some pics of another install like it.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Yes it is a cbrack.

About the page... it is a flash site so if you have dial up... good luck. If you have cable or better... may still take a min until its in your cache. It works fine for me.

Justin

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
worked fine for me.

I like the flash 8)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

Anyway, back on topic. I was never much a fan of hand helds. But I was also not a fan of putting a CB in a crappy place. I really like the CBRack and I think it is reasonably priced.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Cobra 75 and love it. I was not satisfied with the speaker volume, especially on the highway. However, I wanted a CB that I could easily remove from the Jeep when I was not on the trail and the top was off. I'm mounting an external speaker to the roll bar to address the clarity/volume of the speaker. I had this same CB on my last Jeep and never had a problem with inadvertently moving the squelch or volume controls.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tell ya what I'm gonna do.....

I'm gonna go with the 75WXST and here's why. I like to lock my stuff up in the glove box or console when I park unattended with the top down. If I mount the box inside my console I can plug in the unit and run the cable underneath the front of the cosole lid.

<<<If you reach your fingers under the front lip you will find enough of a gap for the cord/cable even when the lid is completely closed.>>>

When I park I will put the unit inside the console and lock it. I'll also fab a metal strip, bend it around the center roll bar and mount the external speaker to it behind the roll bar. If someone steals something all they'll easily get will be the $25 speaker and a Firestick. There is also nothing hanging down in front of my face, in the rear view mirror, or tickling my legs or feet. I also retain the factory looks of my dash and console.

A downfall of the little guy is that all the jewels are in your hand and you know what happens to stuff in your hands.... it usually falls out and hits the floor. It has a 2yr warrantee but I'm not sure if stupid user tricks are covered by the warrantee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I JUST HAVE A SMALL RADIO SHACK CB, BUT I PUT ADHESIVE BACKED INDUSTIAL HEAVY DUTY VELCRO ON MY DASH BOTH AHEAD OF AND BEHIND THE CATCH-ALL AND STUCK MY VELCROED RADIO AND TINY AUX. SPEAKER TO IT. NO HASTLES. :p

·
Registered
561 Posts
I also have the cobra 75...great little CB, howveer if I was goign to do it over, I woudl probably get a fullsize CB and the CB rack, just like the looks of it better.

But the 75 is a nice unit. I havent had any problems hearing it w/ the hardtop on, but I'm sure once the top comes off it will be a PITA. I'll probably pick up a external spkr at the local truck stop and that shoudl do just fine. May even get fancy and FM modulate it so it comes through factory deck:D Who knows what can happen when i'm bored...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks great! I like your install location. Out of the way yet right in earshot (literally).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have the Cobra 75. I mounted the box underneath the console and ran the plug up through the change holder. That was a mistake, it looks great, but is a real pain to plug the cb into it. It is a real good CB, I've already managed to drop it a dozen times and even stepped on it. A little scratched, but still okay. The good thing is you can buy more boxes for about $18 the last time I looked, so you can move the cb from vehicle to vehicle.

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts