Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a hand held Cobra 75 CB Radio? I would like to get some ideas on where to mount the junction box? I was thinking about the glove compartment .

Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I looked at that system and I think Medic is using it. I would suggest putting the junction box under the front side of the center console. This will allow you to use a 18 ft cable which is the ideal length for the JP.

Medic where did you mount yours?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the cobra 75. I installed the box under the console in front. I ran the connector up through the coin holder. I really like the unit. The only problem that I have is being able to screw it in to the connector. I ended up pulling it out a little more and that solved the problem.

http://members.cox.net/rubicon03/Buildup/Cobra CB.htm

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:oops: Well... this sounds kind of slipshod, but it worked well. I used nylon ties to tie the junction box to the bottom of the driver's seat. I ran the power cord under the carpet and up into the dash, the antenna cable under the carpet from the back around the side and under the seat. I tied the handset cord to the seat with more ties so it would move with the seat. I also mounted a remote speaker on the roll cage by my left ear.

This worked great right up until I rolled my 2001 TJ on ice in the early morning hours east of Gallup, NM. Totalled it! I went to the salvage yard and recovered the radio and all its parts in about two minutes. I will put it in the Rubi when it gets here.

BTW: I use a magnet mount antenna from Radio Shack. Its probably not the best, but it tests well with a field strength meter, and I can move it to the center of the hood if I really need the best possible performance.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
RubiDan said:
:oops: Well... this sounds kind of slipshod, but it worked well. I used nylon ties to tie the junction box to the bottom of the driver's seat. I ran the power cord under the carpet and up into the dash, the antenna cable under the carpet from the back around the side and under the seat. I tied the handset cord to the seat with more ties so it would move with the seat. I also mounted a remote speaker on the roll cage by my left ear.

This worked great right up until I rolled my 2001 TJ on ice in the early morning hours east of Gallup, NM. Totalled it! I went to the salvage yard and recovered the radio and all its parts in about two minutes. I will put it in the Rubi when it gets here.

BTW: I use a magnet mount antenna from Radio Shack. Its probably not the best, but it tests well with a field strength meter, and I can move it to the center of the hood if I really need the best possible performance.
Hey if it works then the set up is good..... :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RubiDan said:
this sounds kind of slipshod, but it worked well. I used nylon ties to tie the junction box to the bottom of the driver's seat. I ran the power cord under the carpet and up into the dash, the antenna cable under the carpet from the back around the side and under the seat. I tied the handset cord to the seat with more ties so it would move with the seat.
What no Duck tape :roll: :lol: Actually that works, so don't knock it. At least you were able to recover it quickly. Mine would take a little longer to get out.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
It seems there are more Cobra 75s in Jeeps than any other CB. JU has a bunch of threads in the Wrangler forum on install ideas and tips. If the Search is ever working, there's a lot of info to be had.

Jerry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is mounted just under the frount of the console, run with a 12 ft coax cable. I havent had a chance to clean un the install and cut the hole so the lead is fluch mounted, but thats a minor detail for now. I will snap some pics the next time I have a chance

HJ

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I mounted mine in the bottom of the glove box area. It is just pressed between the ducting and the dash. Works well and is out of the way.
Brian

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I mounted my box right behind the 12v. outlet, also using the outlet as a power source and put the connector just to the right of it in the big empty spot where they used to put the airbag disabler keyhole

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put mine under the drivers side dash against the lower plastic part in front of your knees when driving. I wanted to keep it away from any electrical to avoid interfearance

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
This is a cool little Doohicky

I mounted the junction box under the coin holder using that black 10mm bolt. It is nice and solid there. I ran the wires directly to the battery.
[I have a Blue Top Optima so I used the posts]

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I am just curious.

On average, with the Cobra 75, where are you guys having to adjust your squelch to to weed out the static??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My squelch setting varies with the weather and the density of traffic in the area. Storms add a lot of static and lots of traffic = lots of chatter.

Wheeling, I set it pretty low because I want to hear everything out there. On the highway, pretty high (the index dot is covered by the thumb-wheel slot) unless I really want to hear what is going on such as if the weather is bad or there is a traffic jam of some kind.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts