Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I went to the first Spring Coal Mountain Jamboree at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area in Shamokin Pennsylvania. This was the 6th time a Jamboree has been held there, but the first time in the spring (there will be another one in July). The park has only been open to the public since 2014. It is on 6,500 acres of county land reclaimed after the coal companies abandoned it. There isn't much in Shamokin, most people stayed in either Frackville or Danville. I stayed in Danville which is right off I-80. It is pretty nice city on the Susquehanna River with lots of amenities and a very nice Brewpub called Old Forge Brewery. I highly recommend the T-Rail Pale Ale and the pretzels. I did "Blue" trails both days, the west side "Coal Cracker" on Friday and had the privilege of being part of the first group to try out some brand new sections on the east side called "AAA" Saturday. There is active mining on the property which limits some of trails, but they are constantly cutting new ones. I have some pictures and a bunch of video since I picked up a GoPro right before the trip. I'll be updating this as I figure out how to edit and upload the videos. Looks like I'm having the same token issue as Frank uploading pictures and videos. Hopefully this all works out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Continued

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,044 Posts
Nice! That area reminds me a lot of wheeling in the Black Hills Jamboree a few years ago except for the mud (I hate mud.) Thanks for the pix!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sweet! Right near Rausch creek...have you been there? How did it compare? I too just got a go pro just for jeepin' still working on the edit process too!lol

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet! Right near Rausch creek...have you been there? How did it compare? I too just got a go pro just for jeepin' still working on the edit process too!lol
I haven't been to Rausch yet, trying to talk a friend into going in a few weeks. AOAA seems to be a work in progress with new trails and amenities being built all the time. I think it is more popular with dirt bikes and atvs, but they're trying to build up a bigger base with Jeepers. I met one guy who lives a couple hours away and got a season pass, he and his son go a few times a month. In some spots the trails are better labeled than others and I've heard that they've run into some issues with the trail maps. The history of the place is pretty cool. I believe the "mountain" that the west side trails are built on is actually all piled waste from the mining operations that nature has reclaimed. I'm definitely going to go back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't been to Rausch yet, trying to talk a friend into going in a few weeks. AOAA seems to be a work in progress with new trails and amenities being built all the time. I think it is more popular with dirt bikes and atvs, but they're trying to build up a bigger base with Jeepers. I met one guy who lives a couple hours away and got a season pass, he and his son go a few times a month. In some spots the trails are better labeled than others and I've heard that they've run into some issues with the trail maps. The history of the place is pretty cool. I believe the "mountain" that the west side trails are built on is actually all piled waste from the mining operations that nature has reclaimed. I'm definitely going to go back.
I went to RC for the first time a few weeks back. I really don't have anything to compare to as my wheeling experiance in the past hasn't been in legal camps, as it were, so the wide open free roam experiance was great. Camping is not what I'm accustomed too, but wasn't there to camp! Lol. RC is 4WD only as well, so not atvs, etc...trails were well marked, trail maps as clear as they could be. 80% easy and some very challenging trails mixed in...Alton that I was unwilling to attempt. Trying to get a crew to go back, let me know if you need a trail buddy when you go back. I'm 2.5 hrs away...

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Catching up on old threads, out of commish for awhile. Our club hits RC or AOAA just about monthly for trail rides, even more for cutting, cleanups, working competitions, blah blah blah. If anyone in the area is looking for an active club, hit me up.

:)

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
49 Posts
How did u like Anthracite vs Rausch creek, if you have been...?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did u like Anthracite vs Rausch creek, if you have been...?
I've only been to Rausch once, and Anthracite just the time with the Jamboree. Rausch has more ammenties like air stations, camping and picnic areas, the comp course. Anthracite is working on catching up though. They currently have a campsite area under construction which I believe will even have hookups for RVs and campers, they've also put in a couple of air stations since I've been there. As for the wheeling, my trip to Rausch was with a large poorly organized group. I think we spent more time sitting around for no apparent reason than we did wheeling, so I can't really compare the trails. The biggest downside to Anthracite is that there is very little in the surrounding area. For the Jamboree people stayed in either Danville or Frackville since there weren't any hotels in the same county as Anthracite. I would have no problem going back to either, especially once they open up the onsite camping at Anthracite.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Me and my friends have been wearing raush out! Camping is handy, air stations convienent. If anthracite gets camping facilities that'll be a plus, and come spring/summer may have to give it a whirl!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
If you like Rausch, you will like AOAA. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts