Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 2 mtr rig in my 04 Rubi. I have a ticking/static when the engine is running. It seems to also be in my HT in the car. The CB is also quite noisey.

Anyone have any ideas/fixes. I'm thinking the fuel pump?

Bob

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds like you are picking up some electrical interference....Are you running the radio right to the battery? I have seen lots of problems when you run to some connection under the dash rather than go directly to the battery.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, #12 direct to the battery. Only the positive side though.
I have the radios grounded on the screws that hold the fuse box down.

But it also gets picked up on my walkie talkie.

Bob

·
Registered
340 Posts
You need to run the ground back to the battery as well.....It will make a better circuit. If you are still picking up clicks check your coax connections....I have seen connections become oxided over time. If you still are getting intermod then you will have to try a different mounting location within the vehicle....I use the CB rack for my 2 meter and have no problems. What is your brand of radio?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try running the ground out to the battery, that's the way I normally do it, just got lazy. This rig is one of the RadioShack HTX-252's they cleared out for $50 back in the spring, I left the Yaesu in the XJ. This one fits under the rocker switches nice. Just have it in with velcro for the moment. If I get a Tuffy overhead, I might put the bigger one back in, and get a different CB. I have the Cobra 75 right now but would like to put one in that covers 10mtrs.

Bob

·
Registered
340 Posts
If your 2 meter is just velcro in place....try moving it around the cab while it is turned on....see if the noise gets better or worse.....You may find that under the dash is just to "busy" with interference from all the Jeep stuff. I was also thinking about your hand held....Are you running it off the 2 meter antenna or are you using the rubber ducky? If you are using the Jeep mounted antenna and you are getting the problem with two different radios then I would look further at the antenna, coax, mount etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HT was off the duck. I haven't had time to really try to isolate it, but will try a 'fox hunt' with the HT to see if I can find the culprit.

I came across a thread on ford trucks that had a problem with RFI from the electric fuel pump, and thought this might be it.

I just put the rig in last weekend and have only had time to listen while driving. Maybe this weekend I'll figure it out.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the Rubi out for a run this weekend in PA's Tioga Forest. Had a great 4 day camp out and trail ride. One thing I found out was that the noise in my radios is also picked up in the jeep sitting next to me.

We were getting ready for a run and as I was setting next to a guy I heard the same noise comming from his CB. I turned my engine off, and the noise in his radio went away, I started the engine and it came back on. It did not do it if I just turned the ignition on.

Any thought's? Also found out my speedo is 8-10 high.

Bob

·
Registered
157 Posts
I posted this in another ignition niose thead.

I finished my Cobra 75 install today. I have the same noise in my installation. this evening I did find out that the noise in my lwb rubi is being radiated. I disconnected the coax connector off the antenna mount base (4' FireStik II) and the noise went away. Now we need to locate the source.

I am no mechanic but it seem to me if the noise were the fuel pump it would be more of a steady noise, not flukuating as much as the engine rpm's. I think i have on old cb walki-talki some where, if i can find it, that i can use to walk around the truck to locate the source to a local area.

RFI has sent many a good tech chasing thier tale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts