Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon request, the build of my (no name) TJ.

So most of you know about the big bowl of dumbass I ate for breakfast in the fall of last year on Iron Chest. It was time to build my (no name) TJ up a bit.

Parts needed for job: New hood/pass door, Genright Hi-lines front/rear, corner guards, Walker Evans BL's, 35/12.5/17 MTRwK, 4.88 Nitro Gears, LED lights on all corners, 10 cut off wheels, 1 grinding wheel, 24+ Corona's, 1/2 bottle Jim Beam "red stag", sander, HPLV paint gun, 2 front windshields.

Beer paid help: Russ, Max, Brother
Paid help: Frank Z.

Max came over to help remove the front fenders off the Jeep for my original tube fenders. That didn't work out, so I had to put the factory fenders back on to use my Genright Hi-Lines. That was enough to make the Pope cuss...trust me.

Once the Genright Hi-lines were installed...they went off to be powdercoated. I also put in the WE BL as well. I hate polishing aluminum rims.

Russ came by to help out with the rear corners...helped down some of those Corona's..

While everything was getting powder coated, it was time to start on the hood I got from Jimhat on this board. Genright has a template that is quite handy and good advice and explained the whole process over the phone. They even suggested that I call right before I do it if need be. Glad I did. Some places just tell you to cut 3" off and that is that. Well, some don't explain that it needs to be 3" vertical, or you will be buying another hood or just using the messed up one you just cut wrong. You will need a square to help you out. Notice in some of the pictures there are two sets of lines. One was of measuring 3" from lip with tape, the other was using the square.

Next I had to extend my rocker guards a few inches, so instead of buying some that would fit my build...have welder...will use.

Time for the gears. I used a friend of mine that does it on the side for a reasonable price of 300.00 a set. If you live in the Colorado Springs area, PM me and I can give you his information to get yours done. He does require that you take the axles out of the vehicle. I was happy that I did, the axles had several brackets that needed repair or replaced due to stress cracking or rust. I would recommend doing this on any TJ with bigger tires than 33". After a few repairs, gussets...they were back in.

The (no name) TJ was a roller now..

I decided to paint the hood myself. Hind sight 20/20...should have paid to get it done. I turned out ok at best. That will be a later project.

Some considerations:

When tackling something like this, choose your vendors smartly. I did have some issues with some that was costly and time consuming. This should have been a 2-4 week build..if that. I can tell you Genright has a great tech department and have good suggestions that are not over bearing or cocky.

The Tube fenders are great for clearances, but you do have to give up the windshield washer bottle...and I am working on that. This is a necessity in my book. You should give yourself a 3-7 day window to install the fenders with paint and all. If you do go with the Genrights, they are pre-fabbed (not like the weld together with no directions tube fenders), and you can send them off to paint before the install. They do recommend that you fit them first, however they are made on a jig and come out the same every time. Some vendors will tell you that every Jeep build is different, that does hold true..but there are some standards that should be followed. How do you think the Jeep factory does it?

Shipping killed me too. I ordered some wheel adapters from Poly Performance. I called a few weeks later and asked where they were...they had been shipped the day I ordered them with UPS. Well they first said they did deliver them to my doorstep, then they said they delivered them to another address and then they were lost. Poly Performance was informed of what was happening, and Chris hooked me up and sent another set no questions asked to get me rolling. I will remember that when ordering parts in the future. Great to work with. This set me back a month.
I now use a different shipping company too. This is not the first time for me, and my good friend that owns a performance diesel shop has nothing but problems with them too.

First impressions after first off roading event:

-4.88 gears are great, but 5.13 would have been better. I do have a gutless motor...and that could be some of the problem. I may have to replace the camshaft and lifters (multiple misfire code that comes and goes)...but I will have to decide that on a later date. To rebuild the 4.0, put in an expensive 4.7 stroker, or put in a V-8 with an auto. Either way it is expensive and time consuming.

-There was so much room for tires on the fenders, I was able to take out the 1.25" spacers tp level the (no name) TJ.

I will post up some pictures of the first run on New Years Eve Day with Russ later.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Hey Man, looks GREAT! Sorry she's "unnamed" yet though... Maybe after this first run you'll have a better idea. My wife could name her if I showed her the pics, but you probably wouldn't like it-take our two dogs for instance-one is "Edward" and our new puppy is "Gregory". Pearl was my '55 Willys, Marilyn is our '78 Chev K20, Vivian is the '07 Subaru... Get the point? :laugh:

So question for you-what did you use to paint? I'll have a bunch to deal with soon. Trying to decide if I want to "learn" how to paint, or just have it powder coated. I'm not a big fan of powder coat, but from what I've seen, our local boys here do pretty well and it seems to hold up decent. With black, I can touch up with rustoleum without too much trouble.

Great explanation on the hood cutting. You just made my decision even easier with your explanation. Thanks-appreciate it.

The WE's look great. Always loved those wheels. Do the rock dome things work OK? I was thinking of flushmount myself. Had another question, but forgot now.

Oh, and if you get the chance, rather than Jim Beam for your next round of mods, might I suggest Macallan 18? Ummm... Tasty! :D

Again, Looks great Man! When you decide on the engine work, let me know-I'm in the same situation.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. We may have to wheel if I go up to Washington this year. I have a few Diesel buddies up that way...
I used Sherwin Williams and a HPLV paint gun. I would either powder coat it or have it done by a shop. Unless you feel very comfortable painting and run the risk of having to do it again...like me.

The Rock domes do work...but I wouldn't pay for them. They came with the wheels when I bought them used. I just couldn't pass up on a deal like that on WE.

I am a simple guy...Jim Beam Black or stag...good to go. Can't say I mind the Jamison either...

As promised, the pics of the first run:

rch and I decided to head out on New Years Eve Day to end the year out right....

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
Lookin good, builds never seem to go as planned. Then the whole timeline.....

For you windshield washer bottle. Try looking at some universal ones. They may look small, but hold plenty. I picked one up for my project form jc Whitney. Something like 20 bucks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thinking inline6...and I started to look around on your suggestion. I got a CJ-7 windshield washer bottle, lid and pump today. I would say it is small, but I really only have a small area to put it in and mount the bottle properly. I will post up pics when completed.

A little update on the gears and multiple misfire issue I have been having for 2 years. The gears are fine, I just forgot how to drive a 190 hp motor. I get so used to driving my diesel truck, I forget that I don't have all the tq in the world. 5.13's would still be nice. I went 4.88 gears for resale later on. My next set of axles will have 5.38's.

For some reason as well, the P0300 code or CEL light hasn't come on. I am wondering if it is due to the vehicle RPMs being where it should be at freeway speeds. right now @ 75 mph I am around 28-2900 rpm. Before i was lucky to be around 2200 rpm and struggling down the highway..getting passed by vespas.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What did you do for inner fenders? Genright site says you reuse factory.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I used, however...hind sight 20/20 I would have just built my own half inner fenders to my spec. This would have been a lot easier than removing them, installing them and cutting, welding etc..

If I do go with a V-8 conversion...this is what I will do when I remove the front end to install the motor and trans. Just so much easier in the long run.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Great pics and good info. Your rpms are close to where mine are at with the 4.88's in my 6 speed and 33's. The engine is just "happier" in that range if you will and I get the best power, best performance and best mileage keeping it there. On the misfire issue, mine is more heat related I THINK as it hasn't really done it since it's been cold out. In the hot temps of summer, it would flash constantly and always trip. Now, it hasn't in a while. Not sure why??? When you figure out the rebuild/swap situation, let me know-I'm very interested.

Oh-I missed your other note too-let me know if you do plan a trip up here. I'll gladly take you out somewhere. If you can stay for a few days, we can camp up in my elk hunting area-my favorite wheeling in the state. I always wind up with body damage or broken parts there though for some reason... :? :D

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
would it be possible for you to get a picture of how much the fenders cover your tires? I really like genrights new designs on there fenders and want to get a set but I am worried about them not meeting the fender laws here in Washington. id hate to spend the money on them and then get bothered by the state patrol all the time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boomer, in the second or third picture in this thread it shows a 3.75" bs rim with 33" tires. They well stick out a little...on all tube fenders unless you go with a 5+" flare. If you need a deliberate picture to help make up your mind, let me know...I will do that for you when I get a chance.
In the off roading pictures, keep in mind that I have 1.25" adaptors on as well.

I believe TNT has some flares that are 4.5", and they would definitely cover the tire with 3.75" of backspacing.

Washington sounds like Montana...they are pretty tough on people over there too. For my Jeep, I would need mudflaps to cover the whole tire as well. It is just easier to tow your junk in MT that get tickets all day long.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Boomer-

Do you have a link to said law? Just curious, I've run around without flares at all for a good while doing other mods and never had an issue with the law. I HAVE however been pulled over for reverse lights blocking my license plate a little too much for their liking, and recently for no front plate-it's in the window now. Both times the officers spent more time talking about the Jeep and wheeling or elk hunting than anything and I never got a ticket so I figured it was just a BS session, which is fine by me! :laugh: I guess the big difference though is I'm on the "east side" of the state where folks are a little friendlier. Cross the mountains, enter the rat race over there, and look out...

Chris-

Any updates or changes yet? Looking good man. What do you think of the grand 5.9 swap?

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Todays update:

Went offroading....got the important stuff done first. This prompted me to do the second thing.

Second, I installed my new windshield washer bottle, pump, and spliced it into the factory harness. It worked out pretty slick. I stuffed the 1/2 gallon reservoir on the drivers side, under the brake booster. That is about the only place I have left.

Went offroading again to test out the pump system (sounded good to me).

I actually started the Dodge today and rowed the 6 gears a bit. God I missed that power and torque...think I will repeat that tomorrow.

Mike, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you attempting to keep the factory harness and splice in the 5.9 harness? Or are you just going to use the 5.9 harness? Are you trying to keep the factory instrument cluster?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts