Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weekends ago I decided to do a body lift on my Rubi. While doing it I got somewhat mild case of "while I'm doing that, I may as well do this." I decided that instead of screwing with the filler tube I would just cut 1" from the tank and increase my rear ground clearance.

With the help of my dad, a screwdriver and a few choice words, the tank came out pretty easy. It would have been even easier if I had actually fully drained it. Once I got the tank out I put duct tape along the line I wanted to cut.

Front Side:

Rear Side:

Once the cuts were done, I measured down an inch and clamped the cut sections back on. Right about here is where I took a couple more minutes to think things out. At the time I didn't think about how I was going to be lowering the tank retaining strap mounting points. I probably wouldn't have done anythign different but at least I would have been prepared for it at 11 PM on Sunday night.

Anyway, after everything was measured and clamped, I welded the sections back on. This also just happened to be the time that I found out the trigger on my MIG welder was crapping out. I ended up rigging a foot switch. Definitely an interesting way to weld; sort of a cross between welding and sewing. I then extended the square holes up 1". To remount the tank, I needed to use a female extension (looks like a really long nut) to be able to tighten down the straps.

Here are a couple of pictures of the final product. I forgot to take before pics and I will post better ones later. If you look on a stock Jeep, you will see that the tank skid would normally come right down to the same level as the exahust tip. Be the look of these pictures, I may not have welded very straight.

·
Registered
740 Posts
So I can be sure I'm following along correctly...

You cut out a 1" strip and welded the mounting tabs back on to raise the tank about an inch?

Sounds good.....wish I knew how to weld!

Looks like you got some good results.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly what I did MudPuppy. I am lazy and cutting a 1" strip out would be too much work. Not to mention that overlapping them and having 2 welds is stronger than 1.

What makes you guys think I can weld? If you could only see them. Lets just say if I was a doctor and those were stitches somebody would be taking my ass to court for malpractice.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Ned said:
So I can be sure I'm following along correctly...

You cut out a 1" strip and welded the mounting tabs back on to raise the tank about an inch?

Sounds good.....wish I knew how to weld!

Looks like you got some good results.
Ned ..
time for a road trip come to Vegas i can weld it for ya..
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That is an awesome mod on a stock part. With it a bit higher you almost don'w need to get a Kilby plate.

Good Job :D

G

·
0 Posts
Looks really good. If I had a welder handy I would do this mod. The stock skid is amazingly strong. I'll probably still do a Kilby's, but I like having options. Especially cheap ones.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts