Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this irritating squeak on the Jeep for about a week now, so yesterday I decided to pull a Lower Control Arm to see what was up. Now the RE arms have been on my Jeep 2 months, and less than 1800 miles. I've only had them off road 3 times, and 2 of those were sightseeing trips. To my surprise this is what I discovered. The bushing had pushed out of the arm. The sleeve is still in the arm, just the rubber bushing came out. It does not appear to be vulcanized to the steel insert. I looked at the factory bushings and they are a different design than the ones that RE used. I am still waiting for word back from RE. I will call them next week, in the mean time, they sit on my garage floor and I'm back to running the stock LCA's.

After seeing that I decided to pull my rear UCA's. The bushings were still in place, but I found this on one of them. That crack is 3/8" deep in the center.

Am I upset, that would be yes. I believe this may be very similar to the JKS arm problem with that bushing, but I can't find the thread to it. I know I can go get the factory bushings and install them.

Ron[/img]

·
Registered
467 Posts
i guess i forgot to post this very issue on this board. i had the same problem. all four rubber bushings squirted out the side of my arms in less than three weeks. i just got them replaced under warranty.

they all looked like this a week ago-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, did they replace the whole arm, or just send you new bushings that you needed to install?

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Ron, JKS had a Similar problem and that is why they were removed from thier website for awhile until a better bushing vendor could be identified.

JKS Thread:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=394461&highlight=bushings

These parts numbers were listed on a JU thread and I wrote them down after I decided to go JKS since they use stock bushings. I have not had to replace mine yet, so I can't verify they are correct but it would be good to know.

Moog PN for UCA is K3131.

NAPA PN for UCA is NCP267-1372 and LCA is NCP267-3409.

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ken, I thought I remembered another thread about these bushings. I don't have the same problem as SY02 did (He was a friend of mine and I've worked on his Jeep) In that case the problem was that the entire bushing assembly, sleeve and all, slid out of the arm. Mine the sleeve is still in the arm, but the bushing came out of it. I do think that these are the same bushings though, I remember they looked similar. Thanks for the part # though, I was going to check the dealership next week when I am off to see their price, but now I'll check my NAPA store also.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Ron:

Very interesting. Your LCAs certainly seem similar to the reported JKS problem with the bushing separating from the sleeve, but that UCA looks like a diferent failure mode. It looks to me like the bolt sleeve experienced a high enough misalignment that it tore the rubber bushing.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good info Ron...I have heard that there was a bad batch of bushings that RE recieved and I think we will be seeing alot of this. If anyone else is having this problem please post it so that we can help everyone else new out.

I believe that I have the same problem as I have a squeak and I definatley have one rattling under the JP. Just haven't had time to tear her apart to find the issues. I am however changing my whole suspension system this fall and spring.....Damn JP.. :D

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
My upper control arms are BRAND NEW and I just noticed that the rubber bushings are sliding out...I pushed them back in but is this normal???
Pete M

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well let me say I just replace all 4-lca bushing in my 2-mo old control arms last Thu. Mine did the same thing after the vib problems, than I started hearding a noise from under the jeep. I checked under the jeep and found the bushings walking out, So I called RE and they told me they had a bad batch of bushing {no ****}. I've heard of about 20 jeeps with bad bushing in them. After my springs went from a 3 1/2" to a 1 1/2" in 5 weeks and now this I'm not real happy. Well they were real good about the spring and even sent me 4 1/2" springs. So I called them about the bushings and they send me 4 new lower bushing made by someone else that I had to press in. Well we"ll see how long they last. I still do have a little vib under power at 45-50 mph. Axles are both centered and the front pinion is set to factory spec's and the rear driveshaft is 20* pinion is 19*. I think my jeeping days are numbered.

John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to call them next week about it and see what they will do. I already got offers today of machine shop help to get the sleeves out and the new ones in. Somedays you just gotta love being in a Club. With the JKS I thought I only heard that it was a problem with the whole assembly coming out, not the bushing, but I may be wrong.

Ron

·
Registered
628 Posts
I know of two people here that had the same problem and RE sent them the new parts right away with no problems.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called RE today about the bushings. Great customers service. I have new bushings on the way. They were very apologetic about them, I was told that they had thought they found all the bad ones, but some got out. Then we got into the conversation about how I liked the lift on the Rubi and if I had any issues with it. I dropped the "Your directions need lots of work." comment and that the main bolt for the rear track bar bracket really needs to be 1/2" longer. Overall I am more than pleased with the customer service. We even discussed long arms suspension. I wish I remembered who I talked to. I think it was Justin.

Ron

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I read this today and checked mine. All four lowers were pushing out. So I called Justin and he said yes they had a bad batch and said I would have new ones by Fri. This is all ok except now I have to tear it apart and put it back together and that makes it very annoying.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
doodoob said:
Well I read this today and checked mine. All four lowers were pushing out. So I called Justin and he said yes they had a bad batch and said I would have new ones by Fri. This is all ok except now I have to tear it apart and put it back together and that makes it very annoying.
I saw the pics above, mind dont look like that but they are sliding out. Dose this mean mine are bad and need to be replaced?

Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete, you might want to pull the arm that looks the worst and see if the bushing is coming out as it appears. I am able to clearly see the bushing outer sleeve still in the arm and the rubber bushing pushed out of it. Basically the bushing should be flush with the ends of the sleeve on both sides.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pete, I finally got my new bushings, now I need to get them installed. On to the second PITA...

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Well here is a pic of my bushing that i think may be the culpret of some vibes.....tell me what you think guys...Pardon all the Uwarrie Mudd..lol

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like your whole bushing assembly slid out. JKS had a similar problem. You could try to give it a wack with a mallet and see if the arm slides back over it.

Ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts