Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few pics of the herculiner I put in a few months back.

I put some on the upper lip where my hardtop will sit, I also put some in the door entrys so they don't get scuffed up. My only complaint so far is that they hold dust and dirt and are hard to clean.

G

·
0 Posts
8) Looks great. 8)

How much did it cost and what prep was required?

Thanks, Bill :)

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to autozone and paid $30 for a small quart of Herculiner (barely used any of it). Then I went to Sherman Williams and purchased some Xylene, 2 paint brushes, some sand paper, tape, and a roller pan. Spent about $25 there. You will first scuff off a layer of paint where you want to put the herc, then tape off, next apply Xylene, clean, then start dabbing on the herc. It will take about three coats. Very easy, the job will look only as good as the amount of time you put into it (will take several hours). Also do a good job on the tape job. Let me know if you have anymore questions. :)

OH be very very careful, especially with the herc and the Xylene. The herc doesn't come off and the Xylene is not good for your skin, I suggest using thin gloves.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One last thing, I didn't clean the herc off (nor the paint for that matter) when I took these pics. It looks better when it's clean, that dust (once it's on there) doesn't go away until you clean it because it rests between the roughness :lolbonk: .

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
It does look good. Thanks for the pics and instructions.

Ken

·
Registered
368 Posts
do you use a hardtop in winter?

im wondering how it will fit (seal) on the tub with the herc on

-ds

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had the hardtop on yet but I think it will seal fine. I plan on putting the hardtop back on after Dixie Run early next month so if I have any problems I'll let everyone know. On a side note; I had a 97 sport and my hardtop didn't even have a seal. No problems with it leaking (it didn't even have the rear bolts), I think once you bolt it down it will be fine. Though the herc is rough it's not so rough that the seal shouldn't do it's job (unless you apply way too much herc). later Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts