Rubicon Owners Forum banner

check engine light

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Mouse 
#1 ·
My check engine light just came on. '03 Rubi, 4.0 w/72K. Any likley issues to check first before I have a scan done?

Thanks,

Ken

#2 · (Edited)
You might have your codes right on your speedo cluster. I think you turn your key to the right to turn on the electrics but not all the way to start. Do that 3 times in quick succession and you will see your code or codes light up on the speedo cluster area.

Fellows here on ROF should have that process down and can correct the instructions if needed. At least it works on my 05 rubi.

If that doesn't work your local parts store has a selection of code readers. Pay extra to get a better code reader too.

Also many of the parts stores will come out and plug in their code readers and give you the codes for free.

Keep us informed and let us know what you found.
Bob

#4 ·
Auto parts stores will read the code for free but they won't clear the code. I have a ScanGauge II that sits on my dash so I can keep an eye on coolant temperature, battery voltage, etc. It will also read and clear codes - very handy.

#11 ·
Last time my TJ had this code I found a very loose line under the hood, drivers side, next to the intake manifold. Re-setting that connection and adding a clamp fixed it for me.

#10 ·
All of that evap plumbing is hidden between the plastic wheel liner and the tub at the rear on driver and passenger sides. I pulled the liners out when I was outboarding my shocks and never put them back - makes it easy to access those areas. I would check all of the hoses. It's probably going to be a PITA to check with the wheel well liners in place.

Reactions: Ken Zinis
#13 ·
Just by eye - it was very apparent when I found it.

#18 ·
I've chased that same error code for years, on and off about every year or year and a half. I've found rotten evap hoses and replaced most hoses now, over the years. I'll typically get the code, check and find a rotting rubber hose somewhere or a couple of times it's been a loose gas cap. I make sure and twist the clicking gas cap 5-6 times to make sure it seals. Funny thing is I got the code today... Coincidence??? hahaha I'll be checking the hoses/gas cap tomorrow, ...again!

Reactions: johncanfield
#19 ·
I took the camera with me to the garage, and looked through the hoses and didn't see where that repair was made many years ago. Then, the camera battery was dead as well...I'll have to try again later when I have power for the camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.