Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drove through muddy water that came up to the level of 3/4 the height of my wheels, does that mean I need to change the differential and transfer case fluids? I did it a few weeks ago but recently read some posts that gave me the idea that moisture can get inside these components through their vent holes??? What can you guys tell me about this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The vents are much higher than that....If you are worried you can check if there is any water in the diff by parking the Jeep overnight then just crack open the drain bolt. The water is heavier than the oil so it will have settled to the bottom and will drain out first.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I took my Jeep in tons of water last year and when I checked the fluids at the end of the year neither diff had grey oil. I don't think there is much to worry about unless you are doing regular river crossings or you get stuck in water for a long time. Most people say change your diff fluid once a year if you don't do water/mud all the time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
According to a mechanic friend the most common way to get water into your gear oil is to hit a water hole with your axles really hot. The air in the axles cools, resulting in a vacuume that sucks water past the seals.

If you spend 5 minutes checking the water depth the axles will have cooled enough that it is not a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts