Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a warning i almost found out the hard way..
was going to change my rear tail lights..we almost starting cutting on the drivers side and i thought better make sure of passenger side.. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i found on the right rear DC has crammed all the emmisions crap in there..
so advise is LOOK BEFORE YOU CUT!!!!!
mac :wink:

·
Registered
740 Posts
:)

You a very wise man. With my luck, not only would I have started cutting with my freehand jig saw, but the first circle would probably have turned out to look like an egg! :roll:

I've e-mailed some light sources to find out if there is a direct bolt on LED light in a OEM style box...I haven't found anything yet.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ned said:
:)

You a very wise man. With my luck, not only would I have started cutting with my freehand jig saw, but the first circle would probably have turned out to look like an egg! :roll:

I've e-mailed some light sources to find out if there is a direct bolt on LED light in a OEM style box...I haven't found anything yet.
inside on the passenger side is approx 1'' clearence..now if i could only find a real slim LED light i would continue ini a heart beat..
a buddy resessed his rear tail lights on a 97`TJ and looks clean

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have you checked out Stu Olsen's site? He has a nice write up with photos on the LED tail light mod...(On a 98 TJ). I looked over his article again and didn't see any depth measurements for the LED units but they look fairly thin in the pictures.....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/cornerguard/led-1.htm

G

·
0 Posts
I followed a pair around the woods today. Brighter and good looking. Nice mod.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vulcan said:
Have you checked out Stu Olsen's site? He has a nice write up with photos on the LED tail light mod...(On a 98 TJ). I looked over his article again and didn't see any depth measurements for the LED units but they look fairly thin in the pictures.....

thanks.... i just check the web site where he bought lights..
stop turn is 1.45'' thats too thick for the passenger side.... only have 1.25'' at max. might have to find a way to relocate all the emmisions crap.

mac

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mac-

Can you please post pics so we can see what your working with??? I cut up my 97 right away, I work on semis, and when I saw them on the trucks, I knew I had to have them on my TJ.

Anyhow I plan on doing them on my Rubi very soon. But I will probably wait til I get corners, that way I have 1 set of holes, and dont have to modify the tub anymore if the holes on the corners dont match up w/ my cuts...but still deciding.

BTW if your doing round LED's , why use jigsaw...why not holesaw, MUCH easier/cleaner IMO.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SkyHighTJ said:
Mac-

Can you please post pics so we can see what your working with??? I cut up my 97 right away, I work on semis, and when I saw them on the trucks, I knew I had to have them on my TJ.

Anyhow I plan on doing them on my Rubi very soon. But I will probably wait til I get corners, that way I have 1 set of holes, and dont have to modify the tub anymore if the holes on the corners dont match up w/ my cuts...but still deciding.

BTW if your doing round LED's , why use jigsaw...why not holesaw, MUCH easier/cleaner IMO.
your right on 97 TJ has lots of room on both sides...
take a screwdriver to your passenger side tail light...
WHAMOOooooooo
DC crammed a bunch of emmisions stuff that used to be under the hood..
so i need to find some LED lights that are DOT approved and approx 1.25'' in total depth... sorry i was too pissed and deleted my pics..

best part of the story.. WE DID NOT DRINK BEER..To Start this install..
CAUTION.. LOOK BEFORE YOU CUT!

we got lucky.
mac :wink:

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
4x4mac said:
Vulcan said:

stop turn is 1.45'' thats too thick for the passenger side.... only have 1.25'' at max. might have to find a way to relocate all the emmisions crap.

mac
Grote brand LED's are thin enough (about 1") to fit on both sides, I've installed them on mine with no problems.
You should be able to get them at any truck/trailer supplier.

HTH

Vince

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vinman said:
4x4mac said:
Vulcan said:

mac
Grote brand LED's are thin enough (about 1") to fit on both sides, I've installed them on mine with no problems.
You should be able to get them at any truck/trailer supplier.

HTH

Vince
do you have any pics..... of those LED `s that you used
not sure where there is a truck n trailer here in vegas ...but im gonna check..... ty!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mud Puppy said:
There are LEds that mount with a surface ring instead of a grommet. If they are too deep you could put a spacer behind them.
thats my last resort... is to mount surface.
i kinda like the clean look my buddy has on his TJ.
:wink:

·
Registered
561 Posts
4x4mac said:
Mud Puppy said:
There are LEds that mount with a surface ring instead of a grommet. If they are too deep you could put a spacer behind them.
IMO flange mounted is 10x cleaner. If you don't think so have a look at the stainless security trim rings...they cover up the nasty flange, and on my old one I painted them to match the body, so you don't see the ugly black rubber retainer ring liek you normally owuld, and with this ring, you don't see the flange either.....IMO they looked bettre than ANY of the other LED's. Just a suggestion...you do have to rivet the m in, but aluminum rivets drill out easy...do it all the time on the semis:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
SkyHighTJ said:
4x4mac said:
Mud Puppy said:
IMO flange mounted is 10x cleaner. If you don't think so have a look at the stainless security trim rings...they cover up the nasty flange, and on my old one I painted them to match the body, so you don't see the ugly black rubber retainer ring liek you normally owuld, and with this ring, you don't see the flange either.....IMO they looked bettre than ANY of the other LED's. Just a suggestion...you do have to rivet the m in, but aluminum rivets drill out easy...do it all the time on the semis:D
Why not just use stainless sheet metal screws.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mud Puppy said:
SkyHighTJ said:
4x4mac said:
[quote="Mud Puppy":21lnu0wx]There are LEds that mount with a surface ring instead of a grommet. If they are too deep you could put a spacer behind them.
Why not just use stainless sheet metal screws.[/quote:21lnu0wx]

B?C sheet metal screws are ugly. They normally dont look as clean and flush as a rivet IMO. besides anyone can easily steal a screwed in LED, and anyone can easily steel grommet moutn style...but you ain't walking off w/ my riveted in ones:D

And if you thingk there is no theft risk...talk to a trucker and see what they say about LED's and theft..ha ha!

G

·
0 Posts
LED's will work with '03 Evap cannister

Am just finishing up an install with OYR corners and Maxima LED's. These lights will fit, but the L shaped bracket that mounts the evap components needs to be cut. The cut-out needs to clear the electrical connection on the LED. Tight fit, but just enough room to mount everything back up without having to move the emission controls. Part number for the light is M56100R (4" diameter, 56 LED's). You also need the pigtails which are three pin, right angle STT (stop, tail-light, turn signal), and grommets. Check out Part Systems in Portland, Oregon. They are on the web.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts