Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just missed the garage. I need suggestions for a chain saw that will handle this project. I never had one. I'm thinking under a grand? Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used to be a believer in Stihl chainsaws but the last couple of newer saws haven't been easy to start and need more adjustments than the older Stihl saws. I just purchased an ECHO Timber Wolf CS-590 It's 59.8cc and has a 20" bar. Should be a good firewood saw. It's a little heavy to carry into the woods very far but a strong saw at an affordable price.
Be careful cutting the tree. There may be tension in the branches due to how it fell.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That size is good. I have a Stihl and a Husky. Get yourself some protective gear including some pants or chaps with protection.

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
I have a 30 year old Stihl that's always been a PITA to start when cold but it's a very good saw. The engine has a compression release - need it to even pull the rope.

Anyway....

ProjectFarm (YouTube channel) tested about eight brands of battery powered chain saw and the DeWalt came out the clear winner even over the Stihl and other major brands. I'm seriously considering buying one for everyday use after watching him cut logs and timbers. ProjectFarm buys everything he tests - caution: watching his channel is addictive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Stihl or a old Husky either can't be beat.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
It just missed the garage. I need suggestions for a chain saw that will handle this project. I never had one. I'm thinking under a grand? Thanks.

View attachment 75385
I have a 30 year old Stihl that's always been a PITA to start when cold but it's a very good saw. The engine has a compression release - need it to even pull the rope.

Anyway....

ProjectFarm (YouTube channel) tested about eight brands of battery powered chain saw and the DeWalt came out the clear winner even over the Stihl and other major brands. I'm seriously considering buying one for everyday use after watching him cut logs and timbers. ProjectFarm buys everything he tests - caution: watching his channel is addictive.
Battery power seems to be a good deal. Get a extra battery and be good to go. No gas and oil to mess with. Not for full time loggers.

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
I have a fairly new Stihl gas pole saw, one of the shorter pro models (don't have the upper body strength any more for a longer one) - it's a fantastic saw. I use it to saw anything up to about 5 or 6 inches in diameter, it starts cold on the 2nd pull and idles reliability.

That DeWalt battery powered chain saw lasted a surprising length of time on one charge - it was impressive.

·
10,131 Posts
We primarily use Stihl at work for all are cutting and they are absolutely awesome. We do have a DeWalt battery powered saw that like John said is pretty impressive. Thinking about getting a DeWalt for the Jeep, don't have to worry about gas sloshing around, just need to bring the charger and a spare battery.

Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts

View attachment 75385
I recommend stihl. I live at 9000’ altitude and heat with wood. Burn 6 to 7 cords every year and this is year 30. I’m on my second stihl model 351 (I think) and it’s great. I used it today and it fired right up and cuts great. 18” bar is easier to handle

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No kidding! I'm binge-watching now.

·
3,602 Posts
PF makes me feel like I need to buy tools. I am trying to resist, but I love the comparison testing.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
First: Get good safety gear, these things are one of the few realistic things in zombie movies, you will lose body parts before you even feel the pain. Don't google chainsaw injuries.

The large Stihl professional saws are still made in Germany. Makita bought out Dolmar and their big gas saws are made in Germany too. But unless you own land, and a lot of it, electric is probably the only way to fly nowadays. I have a Stihl 271 ('Murica) and 440 (German), and a Makita 18v (wherever), and the Stihls hardly make it out of the box unless I'm filling a 16' trailer with firewood.

Also, after owning many Husky/Craftsman/Poulan from Home Depot, Dad's lasted for 10 years, and he struggled and cussed the entire time. Electric is certainly better than these.

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
The city maintenance department head (where we lived) retired after 20 or 25 years of service. On his first day of retirement he was on a ladder using a chainsaw, lost his balance and cut his arm off. No kidding. This was the talk of town as you might imagine. Ladders and chainsaws - don't do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts