Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After growing tired of carrying my chain saw inside my jeep and the arrival of my rack for the Lod rear bumper, I decided I needed some place to carry my chain saw and combi pack. I originally had the saw up on the rear rack but didn't like it so I put together this simple carrier and built it to try balance with the Lod fuel caddy on the other side. I now have one spare fuel caddy which will probably never get used but the addition of the saw has proven to be much more useful than carrying a bunch of extra fuel on our trips. I used a Kolpin saw press that I built a simple mount for, the saw is secure and I stuff it in a bag and clamp tight when traveling to and from the trailhead to keep the bar clean.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I've been on a couple of trails where I wish I had a chainsaw, I carry a pruning saw but they are so sloooow. Stihl makes great saws, I've got one with 16" and 18" bars and I just bought a carbide chain for it. I've got some dead "live" oaks to cut up, they are like trying to saw rocks.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still carry one of those Silky (Katana) saws and some long handle pruners for the smaller quicker branches. Some of the trails out here are not run run more than 2-3 times a year and they tend to get a little overgrown. Here's some photos of the potential scratchies I deal with on a regular basis, luckily I keep my jeep waxed and it cleaned up fairly well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Racing stripes!

Have you considered a way to keep the plastic scabbard on the bar while in the mount? Might save some skin down the toad.

Reactions: MTOP

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did look at either building a contoured scabbard and or trimming the one I have for the saw down and strapping it to the upper portion of the saw. The way the saw is secured in the saw press the scabbard can't really be used in it's original shape/condition without modification. I'll possibly rig up something different if I ever get to "saw mount 2.0" but for now I think I'll run it the way it is. I did see a built scabbard somewhere on a rear door mount system...A to Z fabrication maybe....I can't remember. Honestly, I built the saw carrier the evening before a planned run so I was a little pressed for time and I find sometimes I end up over-thinking something to the point that I don't end up finishing the product for my wheeling deadline.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I still carry one of those Silky (Katana) saws and some long handle pruners for the smaller quicker branches. Some of the trails out here are not run run more than 2-3 times a year and they tend to get a little overgrown. Here's some photos of the potential scratchies I deal with on a regular basis, luckily I keep my jeep waxed and it cleaned up fairly well.

Those are some serious scratches! I've found that a product called "Scratch Doctor" works well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts