Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I took a chance and picked up a set of these.
WOW, they really do work.
Go here clickety click
to check em out.

I still have a shimmy between 65-70mph which for some reason, seems to be one speed they can't fix, but once you break 70mph, it is smooth again.

I am going to see if a full alignment [which I desperately need] will fix that speed zone as well.
[/url]

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
elff:

Some folks swear by them, some swear at them. I have never tried them. If they work for you, great.

Make sure everything is tight in your steering before you take it into the alignment shop. Shimmy is usually balance or something loose rather than poor alignment.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I Have the exact same shimmy. I have tightened everything also...It is somewhat annoying but I had it on my 2K also. I would like to try a set of those balancers....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Shimmy

I have the same speed range shimmy, and while in the shop talking to a guy who works on lots of JP's he referred to it as Rubicon shakes. He says that it's a harmonics issue and the only fix for sure if to replace the center skid with a heavey one or reinforce the area between with angle iron or something else. Now, knowing he sees lots of these things I went ahead and install my Skidrow eng/tranny skid and bolted it to the stock trans skid and no more harmonics or shakes or shimmies. Sometimes it just expierence and he said everyday he's hearing more and more from Rubi owners on this. Interesting but it worked for me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
PJ - you have given me hope!!
I get the same shimmies and have cursed the TruXus though I think they are well balanced now, shimmey is not there with the stock wheels/tires. I have a Nth degree skid to install and it's heavy so if it's harmonics that might help me out. It would thrill my husband if it fixed the shimmies. He's also been thinking of the wheel balancers.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had the same problem at 70, had a rotate & balance. It fixed the shimmy. I suspect I lost a weight last time out :?:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Elff,

Are you still liking your centramatic balancers? Have you got any pictures that show how they look behind the Moab wheels? Where did you get them from and how much did you pay? I had never heard of them and they seem like a great idea. My tires rotate on the Moab rims every time I air down. Seems like they would be very convenient as well as ultimately saving some me some money. TIA

·
Registered
467 Posts
i know a guy who competes in rockcrawling comps using his daily driver (yep, you read that right) and he swears by centramatics. he has pretty beaten up swampers too.

i might give them a try myself.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not using my centramatics at the moment.
When I went back to the Moab Rims with 315s, I added Wheel spacers.
As such, I am a little leary of putting anything between the spacer and the rims. Because of this, I am selling mine to RubiMon. They go for $200 new. Marley28 on JU sells them. I did find out that the size centramatics I have, will work with our moabs. They did work great with my dirt sucking streetlocks. Without them, I dont think I could have ever gotten that combo to balance. If you are not running spacers, I highly recommed these. They are an incredible product that does what it claims

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes, they work

I've been using the balancers for the past 9,000 miles and they work very very well. I had just about given up on the MTR's or anyother lugged tire until I found these. I highly reccomend them. As for using them with spacers? I don't know that I agree with Elf's opinion, I would think that an off balance tire would place more stress on the spacer than an in balance one even if it does take 1/16th of an inch of thread. Just my opinion but each must choose there own path.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been talking with Jerry from Centramatic via e-mail and asked if they would work with the original lead weights and spacers. He informed me he has seen those applications and has not had any complaints or problems.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Can you run the 15" Centramatic balancer on a 16" wheel? Will it make any difference? Why do they make them for different sizes?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Do you just run them on the front wheels......or all 4?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can as long as they clear your caliper, which they should. The reason they come in differenet sizes is that to be optimally effective, you want the part with the weights and oil [this is the part that does the dynamic balancing] to be as close to the outer circumference of your rim as possible.
Think of where the weights are tapped onto your rim when they are balanced.

·
Registered
538 Posts
well i dont really want to purchase two set of the balancers, one for my 15" rims and another for the 16" rims, do you think i could get away with just one set of 15" Centramatic balancer and still use them with my 16" moab's?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just curious on this one
Do you use your Moabs for street driving primarily and have your offroad tires on 15" rims?

If so, then you wouldnt need them for your Moabs at all. When you swap to the 15s, put on the balancers and 15" rims
when you go back to the moabs
take off the balancer

I used to run 15" steel rims and need the centramatics. The tires spun on my rims on every 4 wheeling trip and were generally a nightmare. I got rid of the steel rims as a result of that, and the weight and the bead not seating all that great.

I went back to running my Moabs with spacers. I dont need the balancers anymore and have not re-balanced my tires since I bought them and have no wobble after 12+ offroad trips.

·
Registered
538 Posts
elff said:
Just curious on this one
Do you use your Moabs for street driving primarily and have your offroad tires on 15" rims?
I primarily use that Moab's with OE MT/R's, but they go out of balance now and then when wheeling. The Moab's love to get packed with mud in the machined and cast grooves on the inner half of the rims, it leads to a pretty long drive to the car wash!
I'm currently looking in to getting a 15" rim and tire package for wheelin and dune riding. I know I'll still use the moab's once I get some bigger tires for them.

But I was thinking of using the balancers with the Moab's for that occasional mud packed encounter to help with the drive home.

Just the other day I drover thru a mud pit that I spotted right off the beaten path on the way home from work.... i "Almost" got stuck, after i got out I couldn't drive any faster then 25mph in rush hour do the wobble! I got a lot of dirty looks before I got to the power wash to clean them out!

·
Registered
274 Posts
elff said:
You can as long as they clear your caliper, which they should. The reason they come in differenet sizes is that to be optimally effective, you want the part with the weights and oil [this is the part that does the dynamic balancing] to be as close to the outer circumference of your rim as possible.
Think of where the weights are tapped onto your rim when they are balanced.
Actually, it can get a little more complicated than this. When balancing in one plane (a static balance), the weight would ideally be placed in the exact center of the wheel opposite the heavy spot. Dynamic wheel balancers (spin balancers) balance in two planes. Tires almost always have side to side imbalance, too.

The dynamic balancer splits the weight needed for the radial imbalance and at the same time compensates for axial imbalance. An automatic adjustment is made for the distance from the center of the rim to the outside (and/or inside) of the rim where the weights are attached. That's why you might notice differing amounts of weight on the inside and outside of the rims and not necessarily in the same corresponding spot.

With the Centramatics, all the weight is on one side of the rim. Since they are balancing in one plane only (radially) it would probably be best to have the weight as close to the center of the rim as possible. Additionally, the weight containing portion of the balancer is offset to one side. Because of that, it would also probably be best to position the offset portion towards the tire/wheel in an effort to get it as close to the center as possible to try to minimize axial imbalance.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am sure the centramatic website has the best explanation for the application

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've been running the Centramatics for about a year and a half now. I ran them first whent was stock with balancers for 15" wheels, didn't cause a problem with fit, now I still run them with 35" tires and 15" wheels (mounted and balanced also). They work great when you get some mud snow or rocks in your wheel and then jump on the street from the trail.

They make a MESS when they explode though. My brother got a flat when I was gone overseas last year, changed the tire, didn't tighten the lugs properly and lost the wheel the next day when driving to the store. Oil and BB's everywhere!! He is no longer allowed to even look at my jeep.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts