Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked around looking at different CD changers. Factory type that works with the head unit costs anywhere from $250 (eBay) to $500+ from dealers. USA Spec is what most of them are.

Other option is to go with an FM modulation unit, I'm looking at a JVC 12 disc unit, 1100RF, Best Buy for $190 (I have $100 in gift cards) so that brings the price to $90.

Anyone use one of these FM modulation units?

Do they sound okay, or should I just keep manually putting in a CD?
One thing nice about a changer is it keeps all your CD's in one place, out of site and takes up only about 3x the space of the CD's in cases.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
we have the 12 disc unit in the wifes Expo..
storing them away is nice "but" what a pita trying to rem which cd i wana remove so i end up taking them all out. i prefer the stock one in my Rubi..
can only play one cd at a time anyway.....right?
:wink:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
personally, i prefer an mp3 head unit. burn a cd of your fav's and you get 180ish tracks per cd and no loss if its stolen.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Griz..To save some money a Alpine CD changer should plug right in. I will take my stock head unit to a local stereo shop this weekend and see if the Alpine will connnect. Stock units in the past accepted alpine changers.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
No, no Alpine unit will plug right in. The only changer that is truly plug and play is the one avilable through Mopar. I tried that when I went looking for an mp3 changer.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard that the Alpine works with some of the factory head units, but alas, it does not work with ours.

Thanks for the replies, and I only carry my own burned CD's in the car anyhoots.

I think I'm going to go ahead and try the RF Modulated JVC, Best Buy said they have a test unit and will let me see if I like it at their store.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I will probably get a changer down the road along with replacing the factory amp, but thats less money for lifts and tires :)

G

·
0 Posts
MP3 player is the way to go for me anyway....

Personally I replaced my stock Cassette with a JVC (JVC KD-SH9700) unit from Sounddomain.com:

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/item.pl ... vq_id=none

It plays both MP3 files as well as WMA files. I can get over 200 songs on a cd and the folders can be renamed by Genre etc.. for easy navigation. I am very pleased with this receiver so far I have owned 2 other JVC units in the past never had a problem with any of them. The face is removable for security as well.

Beats having to switch out cd's

2003 Silver Rubicon, 5speed, soft top etc...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am not sure if the technology has improved over the last 18 months or so, but in the past, modulators sucked for sound quality.

not being as picky about having top-of-the-line stereo equipment as i was when i was younger, i now prefer good old fashioned, reliable OEM stereo equipment. plug and play, with a decent quality sound. thats all i need.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried out the FM modultated unit at Best Buy, it souded as good as the factory CD player in the dsah. I bought it. It's nice not having to stop and flip through the CD case at stop lights, if I want to listen to another CD, just push a button, never even have to take my eyes off the road.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Griz said:
I tried out the FM modultated unit at Best Buy, it souded as good as the factory CD player in the dsah. I bought it. It's nice not having to stop and flip through the CD case at stop lights, if I want to listen to another CD, just push a button, never even have to take my eyes off the road.
You stop to flip through the CD case... :wink:

What brand did you end up buying?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a JVC CHX1100RF. It is a 12 disc changer, I mounted the changer in the "trunk" and the modulator/control box behind the right side air vent above the glove box. I mounted the control pad above the rear view mirror between the sunvisors. The CD changers have a better "shock" system than a indash unit, not electronic read ahaed, but built on a shock adsorber suspension, it hasn't skipped once so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts