Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 4' Firestick antenna for my Jeep.....Looking at mounting it on the rear bumper. I have seen some mounts where you drill out one of the torx bolt hole where the little plastic bumper end cap attaches. Once the hole is enlarged you can bolt the antenna there and then reattached the end cap (after you knotch cut it to allow it to slide past the antenna). My question is this bumper mount will position the top of the antenna below the roof.....What kind of range penalty to you think I will get?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would suggest getting a mirror mount for a semi and mounting it on the side of the tire carrier. You will have to take off the spare tires and mount it but this will give you much better range as the TJ is not a solid middle roof which is Ideal for a CB antenna. You want to have the antenna rasied a bit so that you can have good forward range.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had heard of antenna grounding problems if you used the stock tire carrier due some plastic bushing that prevents the carrier from making good contact with the rest of the Jeep?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think it is always a good idea to run a separate ground conductor anyway. A solid ground drilled into the frame or tub is 10x better than relying on contact pressure grounding.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know this is NOT what you are asking about, but in case you didn't know...the Tera Flex mount places the antenna at the preferred ground plane (or so I've been told). It does require one hole to be drilled.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like that Tera mount much better than my bumper mount.....Anybody know of a Canadian dealer?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ned said:
....the Tera Flex mount places the antenna at the preferred ground plane...]

YES!

Mounting to your bumper is a bad idea. This only works for whips so long that some loss of signal is irrelevent.

Mounting so the bottom of the antenna is close to in line with the upper lip of the tub is a great idea.

Your antenna is creating a field around it. Putting it anyplace where there is metal beside it eliminates the field in that direction and drastically reduces the signal. It addition the antenna wants a "ground plane" - a surface to reflect off of. The only good one on an entire TJ in the center of the hood, which is not really realistic. Second best is to line the antenna up so it can use the upper edge of the tub. The best signal strength will be accross the mass of the vehicle, so if your antenna is on the back right you will broacast best out the front left. Good to know if you are calling for help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mud Puppy said:
Vulcan said:
I do like that Tera mount much better than my bumper mount.....Anybody know of a Canadian dealer?
North Shore Off Road in Vancouver.

ww.NSOR.com

They probably don't stock it, but they can get it.
I just fired off an EMail to them....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ned said:
I've waited forever to get it (after three attempts)...kinda a PITA!

I finally had success with http://www.stagewest4x4.com/stagewest4x4/

item number: 450 Teraflex - CB Antenna Mount
I sent them an E Mail asking if they will ship US Postal Service....Any other method and the customs brokerage fees cost more than the item.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the Tera CB antenna mounts (one for each side...CB and Ham Radio) from National 4X4.....$32 Canadian.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry....each. :(

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Damn that is a good price....I will have to get them to add one to my order. Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want one call ASAP...Ask for Michelle at ext 227 as mine are being brought in....You may be able to catch her in time to have yours added. She told me it would be about a week before they got them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You must be a mind reader....I was going to ask you how you routed the cable. Once you go inside the space behind the taillight where do you go?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts