Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My catalytic has gone bad again. It was first replaced at 40,000 miles under warranty. Now at 74K miles its gone bad again. Dealer doesn't know why. Unfortunately the farging thing is on back order...not for a few week...Its on back order until FEBRUARY 2011!

I've called Chrysler and filed a complaint, they said a case manager would be calling me tomorrow...

I can't be without a car for 5 months! What the heck is that? What car manufacturer would accept that as an option?

I'm searching for additional ideas, appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
pull em off rod them out re install and drive it untill they can get you some

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,122 Posts
Mine is the same way been n back order for 2 months now.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
As I've stated in other threads, I just recently replaced my cats on the Jeep. Got them from Eastern Catalytic and the wait was about 5 weeks total. The components that make up a catalyst are extremely expensive and cat houses don't stock them on the shelf-they are a build to order part. Not sure where the dealer gets theirs but that seems like a longer wait than necessary. Eastern is a direct OE replacment built to factory specs, complete with O2 sensors as well and a very good unit overall. Comes with everything including the separate 3rd cat also.

As to "rodding them out", I don't see that as being an option. The interior of my factory cats were steel and shaped like the interior lining of a cardboard box. You'd have to cut it up and totally remove the guts then weld it back together as simply "rodding them out" won't work. The replacement cats I got are a honeycomb style with ceramic or whatever inside. These could be rodded out if necessary.

In regards to the comment above, I agree. I ran stock for a while, eliminated the factory muffler and 3rd cat and ran with just the two mini uppers. After replacing with the entirely new setup including 3rd cat, there is a noticeable difference in performance and mileage. It dropped a bit. I'll be removing the 3rd again when I get around to it. There was a definite gain in performance without the factory muffler and 3rd and yes, I agree, it does run/perform better without.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
3,370 Posts
Mike, do you recall with your shopping/research in regards to eastern cat. it they sell a set up that is direct bolt on, all three cats, pipes, o2 bungs, etc?? I know you welded yours yourself. I just didn't know if they offered the whole thing as a bolt in unit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My cats by the exhaust header went bad. Pulled the exhaust, dumped out what made it back to the cat under the passenger side, then cleaned out what was left in the upper chamber with a long chisel, pry bar and air grinder. Other than the check engine light that is on the Jeep runs great.

RallyeX

In the bottom cat you can see a little bit of the cat material around the edge.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
SweetPee-

I guess I should clarify-the Eastern Cat replacement is 100% OE and ready to bolt in. O2 sensor bungs and everything are already there, already welded in for you.

The kit comes in two pieces-the first is the main upper two mini-cats and downpipe the crosses under the engine. The second piece is the actual 3rd cat itself, complete with hangar. It comes with a muffler u-bolt clamp to secure the fittings and two-bolt flange already installed to bolt to the factory muffler if you still have it.

You are right I did weld mine in-but keep in mind this is the typical welding an exhuast shop would have to do for you if you do any kind of muffler swap. Basically all that's required is welding the 3rd cat that comes with the kit to the downpipe from the upper piece of the kit, then weld on the rest of the exhaust pipe back to your muffler. That's it. And that's only if you want a fully welded unit. Clamps could be done just as easy and they do come with it.

I think from prior conversations, I did mention mine was a bit of a PITA though as I had removed my 3rd cat well over a year ago or more so I had basically a strait pipe coming off my factory two uppers downpipe, then that went strait back to the Spintech muffler. I wanted to retain my pipe and add the new 3rd cat back for testing purposes. As a result and to get the most out of the slip-fit enlarged ends, I went about it cutting at the welds of the old system to retain as much of the slip fittings as I could for a good fit when installed on the new cat setup. Had to be kind of careful with the cutting to get that done. Once done, had to test fit the new 3rd cat and cut things down short enough to fit the old pipe into the new cat then also keep the enlarged slip fitting on the spintech to the new shortened pipe from the new 3rd cat. It was a bit of a trick keeping this clean with as much length left on the two slip fittings and shortening the pipe to accomodate the new 3rd cat.

For a guy just swaping things in who still has the factory exaust stuff, it's a direct bolt-in that even has the two-bolt flange to go from the 3rd cat and bolt directly onto the factory muffler. They supply a U-bolt muffler clamp to secure the slip fitting from the upper mini cats to the 3rd cat. I just prefer a fully welded joint, but you could make it a direct bolt-in with the parts supplied in the kit. O2 sensor bungs are already there so you just thread them in-piece of cake.

Probably more info than you wanted, but does that help? Let me know if you need more info, I'll see what I can do.

Oh-they even supply a return label for a refund on your old cat if you choose to do so. After calling to find out how much the return refund would be, I decided it wasn't worth the $10-$20 they were going to pay for it to box it back up. I'll cut mine up eventually to see just what kind of corrugated steel stuff is in side.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
3,370 Posts
Mike thats exactly what I needed to know. A few follow up questions.... The pipe they use between the pre/mini cats and the big main cat, is it mandrel bent like OEM or is it that crimped/ripple bends you see that most shops can do. I would prefer the mandrel bends for smooth flow like it had from the factory. Also did you buy directly from them? I wonder if it is cheaper than buying OEM, I think Mopar Parts America wants around $462.00. I could be wrong though, it has been a few weeks since I looked it up.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Rallyex, did you try resetting the check engine light and it came back on. I'm in a bad spot, can't afford a new one but would like to "remedy" the problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This seems to be a fairly common problem. What are the possibilities of one of our vendors becoming a dealer for EC? For those of us who are beyond the emissions warranty coverage but want to avoid having the CEL on all the time, this looks like the most economic solution. Unless someone knows how to fool the O2 sensors after the pre-cats...

As a related side question, I've got a pretty haggard-sounding rattle coming form the exhaust. I haven't had the opportunity yet to check it out, but it seems like I remember hearing that the cats can cause this when they need replacing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
antighboatye said:
This seems to be a fairly common problem. What are the possibilities of one of our vendors becoming a dealer for EC? For those of us who are beyond the emissions warranty coverage but want to avoid having the CEL on all the time, this looks like the most economic solution. Unless someone knows how to fool the O2 sensors after the pre-cats...

As a related side question, I've got a pretty haggard-sounding rattle coming form the exhaust. I haven't had the opportunity yet to check it out, but it seems like I remember hearing that the cats can cause this when they need replacing. Any thoughts?

My exhaust was rattling pretty bad. When i took it a part a lot of the cat material from the 2 upper cats had blown out and stopped back at the main cat.

RallyeX

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Like Ralley's, my exhaust was also rattling somewhat and loud/more aggressive than it was when the cats were good. Not really sure how to describe it other than it didn't sound "normal" and you could tell something wasn't right. There was no contact anywhere outside vibing on things-I had good clearance everywhere. Definitely NOT saying this is a way to tell if your cats are good or not, just an observation I'd been wondering about for a while that went totally away and really quieted down with the new stuff. I had excessive underhood temps that were so hot I couldn't touch the hood at all and things were getting cooked underneith. With IR readings, one of the cats was well over 500 degrees with about a 180 difference between top/bottom on the same cat. Dealer inspected for my misfire issue and did say it was plugged, but as I'd modded things, I had to pay to replace it. Mine was $371 from USA Auto Parts or Auto Parts Warehouse, whatever it's called. Rock Auto also has the Eastern setup as one of their options, but the other place was a little cheaper.

Not going to say 100% that it's mandrel bent, but it sure looks like it. The bends on the down pipe and around the corner are smooth/full size and don't neck down like a pipe bender would do. I've bent tube before doing cage work and such with a TUBING bender and don't get the deep kinks like you would with a PIPE bender and have produced some smooth bends, but regardless, it is smooth and not kinked like you were curious about.

Best of luck,

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer thinks they've found one at another dealership. I have contacted the EPA to inform them of Jeeps problem. If anyone would like to get Jeep some attention for an item I think is a defect, the guys email is below.

[email protected]
John LaCroix
Compliance & Innovative Strategies Division
734-214-4463
fax: 734-214-4869

·
Registered
200 Posts
my precats went bad 2.5 months ago 74K
was originally told it would be end of December till it was available
called Jeep cust service - they sped up the process & I just had it replaced yesterday
still 2.5 months with the engine light on is not fun
but Jeep service is much appreciated & consistently called me with updates on the process

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,122 Posts
well went to the dealer on Tuesday and had a new cat installed today under warranty, looks like the back order has lifted.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I really like the "racing catalytic converters" which are for "offroad use only" :D

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
My Jeep had the Catalytic Converters replaced a couple of weeks ago... The dealer had to air freight it in from another dealer because it wasn't available at the time, and they did not have an eta on when Chrysler would have them in stock. Mine was still under warranty (69K), and I refused to drive it without the Cats being replaced. It had suddenly lost power (dropped me from ~65MPH to 35MPH like I hit the brakes) in rush hour and barely had the power to get me off the interstate. The CEL was flashing. I guess the air freight was cheaper than a long term loaner car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts