Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres my questions......I know Camber cant be set on the TJ, Toe can but can caster be set and if so is it set to the factory setting of +7 degrees? I know driveline angle takes priority over Caster so dose that mean I shouldnt even mess with caster when i take it to get aligned and just tell them to set the toe? I got mad vibes right now...im pretty sure my pinion is off but want to get it aligned before i start messin with the pinion....any advice out there
?

Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Try setting your front to the spec RE gives, and your rear, point it right at the Tcase flange then lower it a few degrees. Did you also get a rear adj. and track bar too? If so make sure your axels are good and centered.

I didn't get an alignment just because it seems to be running to well as is.
I think you need your pinion set where it is going to be, before the alignment. But I am not sure beyond this.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so will adjusting the pinion after my alignment mess up my alignment?
Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
I think it effects the overall lift height enough to change it some.

In the logic of it, really if you recenter with your drag link, nothing should of changed that dang much really.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
The rear pinion adjustements will have no affect on what you get aligned at an alignment shop. Camber will change slightly when the axle rotates, but it is unadjustable by itself.

Your front pinion adjustment will affect toe-in significantly, so pinion should be adjusted first to match your drive line angles to reduce vibrations and then toe-in should be completed. The front DS is also a CV, so adjust accordingly.

The last thing to adjust is your track bars front and rear since they mount to the axles and the axles are rotated during pinion adjustments changing effective track bar length. Both track bars should be adjusted to center the axle under the frame as close as possible since an out of center axle will create an angle in the horizontal plane between the TC yoke, driveshaft, and differential pinion which will create more vibrations.

Good luck and I would get all of your adjustments complete, except final toe-in, before I would get it aligned.

You should try to rough your toe-in everytime you adjust your front pinion, it will help reduce toe-in vibrations which will help diagnose the others.

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ken White said:
The rear pinion adjustements will have no affect on what you get aligned at an alignment shop. Camber will change slightly when the axle rotates, but it is unadjustable by itself.

Your front pinion adjustment will affect toe-in significantly, so pinion should be adjusted first to match your drive line angles to reduce vibrations and then toe-in should be completed. The front DS is also a CV, so adjust accordingly.

The last thing to adjust is your track bars front and rear since they mount to the axles and the axles are rotated during pinion adjustments changing effective track bar length. Both track bars should be adjusted to center the axle under the frame as close as possible since an out of center axle will create an angle in the horizontal plane between the TC yoke, driveshaft, and differential pinion which will create more vibrations.

Good luck and I would get all of your adjustments complete, except final toe-in, before I would get it aligned.

You should try to rough your toe-in everytime you adjust your front pinion, it will help reduce toe-in vibrations which will help diagnose the others.

Ken
Thanks...its at the alignment shop right now.....good thing im getting the firestone life time alignment...gonna get my $$ worth!
Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
I don't think a lot of people get their pinion rotated far enough, and it is certainly a pita to keep changing it.

I thought I had mine high enough, then after a set the track bar, I realized how horribly off I was, so I did it again, after the second round, it seemed really god.

My rear diff is way more turned up than I expected in the end.

I think there was some advantage to turning it up, centering the axels, then turning it up some more and centering the axels, really. But I was not so happy about it at the time at all.. lol

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WrathOfRubicon said:
I don't think a lot of people get their pinion rotated far enough, and it is certainly a pita to keep changing it.

I thought I had mine high enough, then after a set the track bar, I realized how horribly off I was, so I did it again, after the second round, it seemed really god.

My rear diff is way more turned up than I expected in the end.

I think there was some advantage to turning it up, centering the axels, then turning it up some more and centering the axels, really. But I was not so happy about it at the time at all.. lol
Bottom line i think this whole process of pinion, caster, trackbar, alignment adjustments is a PITA....LOL
Pete M

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I second that......Damn drivlines.. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally finished...it wasnt as hard as I thought once I got the alignment fixed and my pinion fixed. RE definatly has a great ride and I look forward to being able to purchace bigger tires..!!!
PEte M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts