Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im ready to part with moab rims mostly so i can pawn off the 245s with them, also the recent posts about them taking a beating makes me think i should sell them now while they are in good shape and it will let me get a more appropriate backspace for 285/75s, slightly wider stance, etc

so the issue i have is which wheels to get, im sticking with 16s cuz i got a set of tires lined up pretty cheap

so its down to

classic 2s with 16x8 4 7/16s BS @ 21lbs for $125 shipped per

and

black rockcrawlers 16x8 4.5 BS ~$60 per wheel (not shopping around)

i dont know the weight on 16x8 steel, ive read the 15x8 is 36lbs

my question is how much difference will the extra 15lbs or so of unsprung weight at each corner have

im mostly concerned with wear and tear on the drivetrain, and less so performance on street

thanks

-ds

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Won't be a problem in any of the areas that you asked. Personally I would go with the Rockcrawlers.

Sean

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
the Moab wheels are 24# each

the 16" rims are 4.5" backspacing steel wheels im running are 35# each approx.

i have not had any issues with the heavy rims
due to the rocky terrain where we are....the stock Moabs would not have lasted.

:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
...my question is how much difference will the extra 15lbs or so of unsprung weight at each corner have

im mostly concerned with wear and tear on the drivetrain, and less so performance on street

thanks

-ds
The difference should not affect your driveline's reliability to any appreciable degree.

You WILL notice a difference on the street going to the 285s. Assuming you're getting MT/Rs, the 285/75R16 is a true 33 inch tall tire. Expect your mileage to decrease compared to the 245s. You will also notice a decrease in acceleration and braking capability, due to the increased tire diameter and additional unsprung weight.

But you'll be a little better off than those of us with 305s....

Just be a little more aware of the brakes. The advantages offroad far outweigh the small sacrifice in street performance. And you could always go to 4.56 gears in the future.....

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts