Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any information on the process to cross into the US from canada say for Easter Jeep Safari or any other event and back again, hauling an enclosed trailer with a second vehicle and pile of tools in it, ive hear they can completely dismantle everything tare off door panels and gut the interior of a vehicle and just leave it like that.. whos responsible if a door panel from 1995 splits in half which is almost a guarantee when removing it or all the plastic clips shear off

secondly how do i prove the tools i bring with me and the vehicle and spare parts for it all came with me when i left canada upon reentry and not charged a duty on everything on me.. i own some harbour freight tools and no receipts for them itd be pretty easy for them to point out the brand name is only sold in the US, on the other side of that coin what stops someone from heading down with no tools, filling up at harbour freight or anywhere for that matter, maybe covering them in dirt and mud while at their event to look used and claiming to have brought them from canada

interested in how the policys are evolving around electronic devices and being required to give your passwords and have all devices charged and working for them to check through although thats a whole can of worms thatll highjack the discussion

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have made the trip into and out multiple times, and was never asked anything more than a few basic questions(Got any fruit? How long have you had that mustache?) It has been a few years though. Goodluck and I hope you don't have any issues.
On a side note....are you lot disarming? I heard something on the radio about a shooting, and now trudy is confiscating everything but slingshots. I hope this isn't true, if so your future may wind up being similar to the now miserable existence of the english. I bet they would give just about anything right now to get their arms back, and subsequently big brother's boot off their necks. If it is true, my condolences on your impending further loss of rights and freedoms :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made the trip into and out multiple times, and was never asked anything more than a few basic questions(Got any fruit? How long have you had that mustache?) It has been a few years though. Goodluck and I hope you don't have any issues.
On a side note....are you lot disarming? I heard something on the radio about a shooting, and now trudy is confiscating everything but slingshots. I hope this isn't true, if so your future may wind up being similar to the now miserable existence of the english. I bet they would give just about anything right now to get their arms back, and subsequently big brother's boot off their necks. If it is true, my condolences on your impending further loss of rights and freedoms :(
there taking away some of the nicer range toys... not that we have many anyway, but i still got my SKS and theyll still be selling those thats enough for me, but yeah theyre too strict already and driving it farther sucking off any tragedy they can get.. idk if this one will stick, theres a bill that states they cant ban anything used for hunting or sporting and trudeau specifically didnt ban these specific guns for natives stating it was a heritage/tradition thing and they use them for hunting.. while in the next sentence saying no one uses these rifles for hunting or sporting and theres no need for them

id like to know if anyones had a vehicle damaged by the border guards on either side and how that goes.. definetly take pictures of every panel seat and carpet before crossing and upload them to the cloud so they dont get deleted

·
Administrator
10,761 Posts
We have been across the Candian border a few times, I've watched a bunch of reality customs and border protection shows (Canada, the US, Australia, etc.) and one common element is how you react to questions and your body language. If you act nervous and pensive that might lead to your vehicle's strip search.

·
3,425 Posts
Guilty until proven innocent?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i realize you need to be calm and give no reasons to be searched at the border im just wondering how far they can take it without any reasoning or suspicion and whos at fault for damaged panels.. try and take an inner fender well off a jeep thats been in canada for a decade.. only way thats going back on is by sending self tapper thru your body work

Along with these new gun laws theyre vowing to stop all guns coming across the border and giving the border a big budget boost, makes me curious how this will take effect and how they can stop anyone smuggling a stripped down never fired gun in pieces hidden in the frame rail, body panels or under interior trims, seems theyd have to strip every car to nothingg and xray it, obviously not practical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,992 Posts
Easiest bet is have a complete list of items with serial numbers if possible. When you leave Canada, stop at Canadian customs before you hit the uS and have them stamp it with the date. no need to be too specific, so 102 piece craftsman socket set is good enough. Used to do this when I was living in Canada (born and raised in Montreal) and heading to the US. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Are the borders even open?
If they search your stuff and do damage, US or CAN, there is a form you can submit to get compensated. If you give them reason to search then chances are they will find something. Do you have a spent shell casing lodged under your back seat?
I have never had a problem entering the US. I unroll the rear window so they can see the Dog and tell them how much and what flavour of dog food I have.
Coming home I have never had a problem but I could see it turning bad really quick. Depending on the border guard some of them are really interested on what you have and what you had done to your rig while away.
Years ago I started taking pictures and video of my Jeep, its mods and my bikes. I do it just before I cross at a distinguishable road sign or a Canadian tire parking lot with the sign in the background and a date stamp. Do this with your trailer and the tools.
If you are prepared and polite you won't have any problems.

·
Administrator
10,761 Posts
We took the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) from Haines, AK to Prince Rupert, BC on our way back from touring Alaska (and BC, etc) in the motorhome with the Jeep Liberty in tow. When we unloaded in Prince Rupert I was driving the coach and the wife was in the Jeep; the customs gal asked me the usual questions - weapons, alcohol and bear/pepper spray. She wanted to read the label on the bear spray - if it said anything about using it on a person she would have confiscated it :rolleyes:. They get really anal about some things.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Normally crossing the border is easy, just have your papers ready and answer their questions. Where are you going, what are you doing, how long is your stay, do you have any fruits or vegetable? Due to the pandemic, best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts