Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm a proud owner of a 2017 JKU. The exterior is stock and I was wondering if I can get away with running 35's without having to lift it. The ultimate goal is overlanding but I'm on a limited budget so it will take a while to get done right.

·
1,520 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.
I’ve lost track of what Jeep is putting under their JKU’s. I have a 2004 TJ, but the basic concerns never change....
Rubbing when you stuff a wheel while flexing the suspension.
Rubbing on a tight turn.
Rubbing while flexing and turning.

Also consider how the change in tire size will effect gearing and power.
Consider wear on component, even breakage.

I‘ve been with a family that did Golden Spike in a 4 door stock rubi and never had to be strapped.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, with additional bumpstop, wheel spacers, trimming the air dam (or removing) and flat fenders.
No if you want all those to remain stock.

Wheels: factory backspace (we'll call it BS) is 6.25", you'll need to be around 4.5-5" to clear the width of a 35". Most people shoot for 4.5". You'll have to do that with either a wheel spacer on your factory wheel, or new wheels with the correct BS. Either way make sure you remove the rotor retaining clips as most spacers and wheels aren't made for them. I'll post a video below that discusses it. Also keep in mind the manufactures of most 35s or 315 tires recommend a wider wheel than the stock JK, it can be done but it's not within their recommended spec.

Bumpstop: this is what will stop your tire from hitting then fender when it flexes up. You'll have to add bumpstop to keep the tires from rubbing.

Lastly, make sure whichever way you go that you study and asks lots of questions before making a decision. And don't cheap out on your suspension, it's not the place to save a buck. :)

To sum up, if I were in your shoes I'd put on a set of Poison Spyder flat fenders (or comparable) FRONT REAR and the tire of your choice, some cheap steel wheels, then jack it up ot take it to a shop for bumpstop fine tuning.

Good luck!!

·
3,464 Posts
Good answer Baby Blue!

Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Registered
541 Posts
The problem with adding larger tires with no lift is that you need to add some bump stop. The more you add the less up travel you get.
If you are overlanding then the gravel road pot holes and water ditches will cause you to bottom out, a lot.
I would recommend to buy some good stock size tires and save up for a lift and 35's if that is what you want.

The other thing I would do is add some progressive bump stops. I used sumo springs in the back of my JKU. They really help especially when you are loaded up. You can buy them off of Amazon or Metal cloak sells some also.

If you run your Jeep stock then you can decide what you really need. Are you going to be a light traveller or are you a winch, bumpers, roof top tent, kitchen sink type of Jeeper. Maybe you won't want the height? Or you might want 40's.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
541 Posts
And Welcome, Where are you from?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information, I really do appreciate it. So I'm definitely new to it all but love the idea of overlanding. I know that I need to start off slow but I want to eventually build up to rooftop tents, fridge, etc.. I'm currently l living in Tampa, Fl. But I spend alot of time dry camping all over.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for the information, I really do appreciate it. So I'm definitely new to it all but love the idea of overlanding. I know that I need to start off slow but I want to eventually build up to rooftop tents, fridge, etc.. I'm currently l living in Tampa, Fl. But I spend alot of time dry camping all over.
Welcome! I used to live in FL - if you haven't been yet, I would recommend visiting Citrus WMA as it's in your neighborhood and offers some off-camber trails to give you a feel for your rig in its stock form. Unlike Richloam, Croom, etc., there isn't much/any water, just dirt and hills. You'll want to check the web to make sure you aren't going during any big hunting weekends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! I used to live in FL - if you haven't been yet, I would recommend visiting Citrus WMA as it's in your neighborhood and offers some off-camber trails to give you a feel for your rig in its stock form. Unlike Richloam, Croom, etc., there isn't much/any water, just dirt and hills. You'll want to check the web to make sure you aren't going during any big hunting weekends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a great recommendation. I will definitely do that! I have off tomorrow and that would be the ideal way of spending my Sunday! Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I ran 35" tires on the stock suspension for a year and took it wheeling once. I replaced the front fenders, bumper, wheels and tires all at the same time. The rear fenders would rub on the tires if I had people, gear in the back or on severe bumps, I removed them before I took it offroad. I got slight rubbing on the sway bars at full turn, and on the inner fender on full flex, but no real issues.

No Lift
No Lift
No Lift
No Lift

1 - 13 of 13 Posts