Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that the cam bolts are no longer on the front LCA's, or is this something that they changed earlier and I missed? Things you discover laying on your back under the Jeep for a while.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR.............There has not been any Cam bolts on the front since 2000. Adjustable uppers if the way to fix any caster problems unless you want to buy some cam bolts...

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Things you miss moving from one century into the next. Thanks. I guess if I need to adjust them I will have to fork over the money. They are still cheaper for small adjustments than new UCA's.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
They are still cheaper for small adjustments than new UCA's.

Ron
This is true but look at the future mods... You will have to get UCA eventually.......

Do it once and spend more time driving.......

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can buy the Cam bolts from Jeep. there about $12 each

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just paid $48 for them to replace the ones we had to cut on my buddies. That was 2 bolts, 2 nuts, and 2 nutside cams.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:!: Actually the CAM Bolts have not been elliminated at all......I have been to a dealership and looked over their stock of Wranglers and all had CAMS up front. My Rubi came without and I asked the parts manager and service tech aboput this and they pulled up the front end parts exploded diagram from the their coputer and it clearly shows the parts. I was able to get mine warrenteed and have them order me the parts for free. IF DC says that they havent done it since 2000 then they have really poor QC cuz they are on just about every 03 I've looked at and was told by the Techs there that they should be there.

Kevin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cam bolt mystery

The 2003 wrangler Service Manual identifies the cam bolts clearly as an Optional over the counter kit! The fact that you saw cam bolts on new stock wranglers is puzzling. Maybe it depends on what day they built the jeep?... Rubicons may have only been built on Monday mornings!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about cam bolts for the rear? Should they go on the UCA or LCA?
And which end - front or back of the arms?

Cal

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could someone please post pics or diagrams so the rest of us can figure out whether we have them?

Thanks,

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Ron,

Do you think its neccessary to worry about having cam bolts for a small lift like the OME? Is it really off that much that it affects allignment or handling? Just curious if I should do this. If so I will order the cam bolt kit for the front LCA's and have them put them in and then do an allignment with my new Tera adj frt trk bar. Thanks

So far the OME and my 33's work great together :D
Steve

Is this where they go? Looks like I may have a little axle leakage?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uhdinator said:
Hey Ron,

Do you think its neccessary to worry about having cam bolts for a small lift like the OME? Is it really off that much that it affects allignment or handling? Just curious if I should do this. If so I will order the cam bolt kit for the front LCA's and have them put them in and then do an allignment with my new Tera adj frt trk bar. Thanks

So far the OME and my 33's work great together :D
Steve

Is this where they go? Looks like I may have a little axle leakage?

When I took mine in for an alignment they told me it wasn't needed. I never had any handling problems with it. I used to hit speed bumps at 30mph just to test the bump steer. The cam bolts go where your picture shows. I would have an alignment shop check the front end to see if you need it. My axle was only off 1/4 inch to the side, so would have only take 1/8 inch to adjust it to center. Not much at all.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Per the 2003 TJ FSM, cam adjustment is as follows:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - CAMBER
Before each alignment reading the vehicle should
be jounced (rear first, then front). Grasp each
bumper at the center and jounce the vehicle up and
down three times. Always release the bumper in the
down position.
The wheel camber angle is preset. This angle is not
adjustable and cannot be altered.

The FSM also says:

The lower suspension arms can be used to adjust caster and
pinion angle by installing a cam bolt service package.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts