Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took me a while to pull the trigger. Pun intended. I took forever to choose an optic. A friend’s AR had a Wilson Combat single stage drop in. I liked the trigger and I respected my friend’s judgement. I still wasn’t ready and figured I should learn to overcome what I didn’t like about mine.

I then settled on a single stage. Soon everything came together with pull weight, take up, reset, and trigger shape. A bonus for me was a drop in trigger with the anti rotation pins included. I learned drop in triggers need those because there aren’t any springs resting on the pins to keep them from slipping out.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
All of my aftermarket triggers aren't the drop in type, I always have to review the trigger install directions before I start. Actually replacing triggers in an AR isn't very difficult with a little finger dexterity.

My Ruger Precision Rifles (RPR) come with an adjustable trigger which I thought was a nice bonus. I set mine to about 2.5-3 pounds.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
I have never understood the trigger hoopla. I suppose if I were in competition, I might get excited, but stock triggers have always served me well. I'm a Southerner, and grew up with firearms, so as long as the bullet lands where it supposed to, I'm happy.

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never understood the trigger hoopla. I suppose if I were in competition, I might get excited, but stock triggers have always served me well. I'm a Southerner, and grew up with firearms, so as long as the bullet lands where it supposed to, I'm happy.
That’s one of the reasons I took so long to replace it. I didn’t get it for speed. I would prefer the milspec if I was clearing rooms and around personnel all the time. I’m going to need to work to get my mind adjusted to what a single stage 3.5 pound trigger brings regarding safety.

Simply why - hitting a small plate at 300 yds. and a quarter at 12 feet with my one rifle and optic. I’m getting older. I had my milspec for almost a decade. I hit the plate with it. I hit the quarter with it. I just got tired of the Neanderthal trigger break.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I'm a trigger snob. I can live with 3.5#, barely, if it's super crisp. Any creep or roughness and it has to go though.

Almost all of my field rifles have 28 oz. triggers. Which I feel is still on the heavy side, but they are bolt action field rifles and I am often using them in freezing temps with gloves on. For target work I prefer a 4 oz. trigger.

For an AR I use either Giessele or TriggerTech and take them as low as they'll go. About 2.5#, but nice and crisp at least. Have never used the Rise. They have a good reputation though.

- DAA

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first experience away from my milspec was my friend’s Wilson Combat single stage 3.5-4. I’m not sure what his was at the time. He didn’t say much. He just said, “Here, shoot this and tell me what you think.” He tainted me from that point on, but I needed something else to spend my money on like a hole in the head.

I think it just came down to window shopping via reviews and entering that perfect storm (the things I listed above).

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
For an AR I use either Giessele or TriggerTech and take them as low as they'll go. ...
All of mine are Giessele. It's amazing how quickly you can almost double the cost of an AR with aftermarket triggers, grips, handguards, wraps, optics, etc...

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
HAHAHA
That is so true
The AR is always the inexpensive part.
I have the first model of AR Pistols that Springfield Armory made. The one I got was just under $800 when I bought it. Now, the closest version they have to it, is the Saint Victor 5.56 AR-15 Pistol. It's almost the same with the main difference being the brace. Mine had a fixed brace which I almost immediately replaced with a SB Tactical sbpdw 3 position brace and now it has a Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle Scope.
The cost of those 2 add-ons is over $600
:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That’s one of the reasons I took so long to replace it. I didn’t get it for speed. I would prefer the milspec if I was clearing rooms and around personnel all the time. I’m going to need to work to get my mind adjusted to what a single stage 3.5 pound trigger brings regarding safety.

Simply why - hitting a small plate at 300 yds. and a quarter at 12 feet with my one rifle and optic. I’m getting older. I had my milspec for almost a decade. I hit the plate with it. I hit the quarter with it. I just got tired of the Neanderthal trigger break.
I went from a MILSPEC trigger to a rise armament in my main AR and cut my group size in 1/2. I have been shooting competively on and off for 40 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts