Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So did some wheeling this weekend. Pics to come I swear. And other than a hell of a lot of mud and clay being caked up under the JP (about 8 dollars at the coin wash to get my wheels to quit shaking from being unbalanced) I thought I made it out without damage. Then the ride home sunday showed different. After I got out of the mud hole I washed off the altenator with a spray hose that another had onboard since I had heard 4 TJs already lost theirs in this same pit. It only made it 2 days. On the ride home the check gages lights popped on and by Monday it had to be jumped to get to the Stealership. Well I am supposed to pick her up tomorrow so I will give you updates then. By the way it the Rubi alternator any different from a normal TJ alternator. My dealer made it sound lioke it was specific to the rubi? Cant see why?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think the alternator on the Rubicon’s are 180 AMP, so that’s why the dealer said it was different than a standard wrangler.
P.S., I saw somewhere on E-Bay a set of plastic type plugs that cover the 1” holes on the fender wells to help prevent water and mud from being splashed under the hood.
I will search to see if I can find them again.

G

·
0 Posts

You can't plug up all the holes - alternators are the cost of mud and water
holes . The rubicon has a 117 amp alternator - it is considered high output.

·
Registered
454 Posts
In my last Jeep, I took it in after I went through some mud and they actually replaced the alternator under warantee. Suckers.. :twisted:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well Dealership replaced it under warantee so I'm a happy camper. But anyone know what one goes for so maybe I have a spare for next time. You never know if it will get me home once it gets submereged.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's good to know every possible 'achillies heel' in the Rubi's engine bay. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Your altenator is fine, take it out and remove the aluminum shield. Then remove the 3 screws holding the brush assembly down and remove it. It's the big white thing in the center riding on the stator shaft. Clean your brushes out so they move freely up and down. Then put it back together and you're fine.

Stock Rubi alt's have excessively high brush wear, so they get stuck sometimes. Take it from an expert on alt cleaning.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,064 Posts
Thanks for the tip Lothos.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If anyone is still interested in the plugs on Ebay then I can recommend them. True they don't stop all of the dirt but everylittle bit helps. The kit is like $23 and that includes shipping. It has plugs for the front of the frame, 4 holes in the wheel wells, the inner fender plugs, plus junky sport bar handles (they include 4 really nice pieces of velcro that instead worked perfect for holding my rear seat belts to my sport bars so they don't flap), plus 2 extra wheel lugs with a plug to so your spare tire has 5 lugs and not 3, and "2 position" door straps. It also includes a little topper for the door strap peg to keep the strap from pulling off by accident (but I used pencil top erasers instead).

This guy has quick service and the plugs all fit nicely. I used a small amount of silicone seal on each plug so they won't pop out and they'll have watertight seals.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm working on a sheild from an old coffee can to block alot of the mud that may hit the alt. So far my test fitting are successful but I dont know how well they will block out mud since its been all snow for so long. Well the weather has broke and the mud is abundant. I'll keep every one posted as I do testing and improvements.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It's not the mud that you would normally assume thats the problem. The problem lies in the fine grains of sand being washed into the alternator by water. Most of this is done as the wheel churns through the muck and throws water forward during travel and hits the back of the alternator. Yes, splashdowns can also present a problem that a shield could remedy somewhat but remember that the belt must turn on the front of the alternator and the spinning shaft is where the water gets in the easiest. Also bear in mind the alternator cannot operate above 240 degrees for very long, this is why the alternator most cadillacs are water cooled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts