Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I sold my Tundra and want to return to a 2D Rubicon. I'm looking at a stock 2015 2D hardtop automatic with 19,500 miles. The only Rubicon I've owned was a 2005 TJ so I'm looking for input, advice, what to look out for specific to a 2015. Thanks in advance, Kevin

·
3,496 Posts
Look for oil leaks. A common issue is when someone over-torques the oil filter that the oil cooler on top of the motor cracks, and leaks. Also, if its lifted or wheeled, make sure the steering is tight and the front axle is not bent. Pics?

Reactions: mac and KMG

·
Administrator
10,926 Posts
Welcome back the Jeep world Kevin 👍 (well, almost.) Can't think of unique issues with the 2015 model year other than what Don mentioned. The 2007 to 2011 had the under powered engine and the 2012 Pentstar (sp?) were blowing head gaskets as I recall.

·
3,496 Posts
Welcome back the Jeep world Kevin 👍 (well, almost.) Can't think of unique issues with the 2015 model year other than what Don mentioned. The 2007 to 2011 had the under powered engine and the 2012 Pentstar (sp?) were blowing head gaskets as I recall.
After 2012 Jeep revised the heads and I haven't heard any issues with them.

·
3,496 Posts
Look like Warn brand bumpers - they are a quality product. That could be a sign that the lift components are quality as well.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,064 Posts
Just the normal stuff, do the lockers work? Does it go in 4 lo...dont forget to make sure the sway bar disconnect works. Also make sure it is a rubi, not a sport with Rubi stickers.

Reactions: mac and KMG

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The test drive went well. It handles nicely without any pull or off center steering while under full throttle, coasting, and emergency stops. The transmission shifts smoothly and better than my 05 did. I wasn't able to take it off road but did run with it in 4WD and I locked the axles. All worked as I expected. The 35"tires makes it feel a little slow compared to my last 05 Rubi with stock size tires. The BFG MT tires have 5,000 miles and are ready for rotation. Do you guys recommend a 4 or 5 tire rotation? The Warn rear tire carrier opens with the rear door which I like. The Warn rear bumper doesn't have a receiver hitch for trailering but it looks like one could be added. The wheels and 3.5" lift are AEV with Bilstein shocks. I wasn't sure about the color but in person I like the anvil color. Thinking it over tonight but probably will try to purchase it tomorrow. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the normal stuff, do the lockers work? Does it go in 4 lo...dont forget to make sure the sway bar disconnect works. Also make sure it is a rubi, not a sport with tubi stickers.
I forgot about the sway bar disconnect. Thanks. Is there a specific VIN digit that indicates it's a Rubicon?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Looks like a quality Jeep. I do a 5 tire rotation, saves on the wear and should buy you an extra year or two out of the tires. I've had my 35" MTRs on the Jeep for 5 years and about 60,000 miles and still have life in them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm officially back in the Jeep Rubicon family. Feels Good! It has a Warn Elite rear bumper without a trailer hitch. It looks like one can be added but I can't find it on Warn's website. Anyone know if it's available? Thanks for everyone's advice prior to purchase. Did I say this Feels Good!
48bb090ab7c04d08b12d3336cbb26466.jpg

·
3,496 Posts
Congrats! Once you get time, lets see some more pics!

:D

·
Administrator
10,926 Posts
That's an interesting tread pattern on the tires. Welcome back to the Wrangler family 👍.

You might have to buy another rear bumper to get a trailer hitch receiver.

Reactions: KMG

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
A lot of the JK aftermarket bumpers are designed to work with the factory hitch. I would try to find the listing for your bumper and it will probably state that it does. You can get a hitch from any 4x4 website, amazon, etc. I think mine was around $50 and they attach with 4 bolts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of the JK aftermarket bumpers are designed to work with the factory hitch. I would try to find the listing for your bumper and it will probably state that it does. You can get a hitch from any 4x4 website, amazon, etc. I think mine was around $50 and they attach with 4 bolts.
The Warn bumper has a cutout where a receiver should be and I can see a rectangular tube going crossways and it has 4 holes exactly where a receiver should mount. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts