Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my 01 loaded Sport 5 sp.. Want a new Rubi. The 03's are scarce but available at a good price. I think I should wait for a loaded 04, but am totally undecided about the Auto 4sp vs. the 5sp. manual. Is the Auto as tough as the manual. I will probably never hard core Rock Climb, but I want to do some trails, sand dunes, mud and maybe even some snow. All opinions will be helpful. The format of this board and the style look GREAT! This is my first post of my adventure to a new Rubicon. Thanks 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
the auto is great..... i gave up shifting long long ago!
:wink:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
My last 2 jeeps have been standard and so is my Rubi...my buddy has a automatic that I have driven before....I like the control u have over the standard...shifting is a pain sometimes but...oh well to each his own.
PEte

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Like Pete said it is your choice..... Do you want to sleep when you drive or do you want to excersise your left leg daily... The standard is my choice..The sounds of that 4 speed auto sounds kinda cool though..Still wouldn't get rid of the 5 speed..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as recently as a year ago i would never dream of owning a jeep with an automatic transmission. to me it just didnt seem "jeepy". it was funny how quickly and drastically my thinking changed after wheeling with a friend who had a 3 speed auto in his sport. now that i recognize the advantages off road with the auto, today i couldnt imagine buying a jeep with a manual tranny.

last year i had a nicely modded 5 speed '00 sahara http://7slotgrille.com/jeepers/tj/nathan/index.html#00 . it was an awesome jeep off road, but on really hard pulls while trying to creep it would occasionally knock off even when slipping the clutch. it wasnt just me, it happens to the best of 'em. with the automatic, trying to find the perfect balance of clutch and fuel is no longer an issue. now maybe its just me, i suppose its possible that i just dont know how to drive.....maybe its just the terrain i like to play on.....regardless, now that i have an auto in my '03 rubicon http://7slotgrille.com/jeepers/tj/nathan/index.html#03 i dont have to give it a second thought.

if we were still limited to 3 speed autos i would recommend the manual, but with the addition of an overdrive in the '03 autos i highly recommend the auto. the only advantage i can think of with the manual is slightly better engine braking but so long as they continue to sell brake pads, even that doesnt have to be a factor.

bottom line, drive them both before you make a purchase.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a Manual 5spd. Wrangler, and now the Rubicon in 4spd. automatic. When I heard they were coming out with the 4spd. auto for the 2003 year it was a no brainer. Where you'll really appreciate the auto is in rocks. Being on and off the clutch in rocks is horrendous on the drive train, not to mention your leg. U-joints are subjected to some serious pounding with the manual. The downside to the auto is horse power, and lower gear range loss. BTW, the new auto has a stall converter, to lessen some of the undesirable auto traits.

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I too like the 4 spd. auto. I've had a 4 spd auto in our last 2 Cherokees and love 'em. I feel you have a lot more control in your speed with the auto. My 98 TJ was a 5 spd manual, I didn't like the 3 spd auto, they always geared the differentials too high.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Auto vs Manual

I just bought a new Flame red Auto and I love IT! I really was sold on a manual for the longest time and even found the one I wanted some 90 miles away. I finally decided I didn't want to teach my wife and daughter how to drive a manual so I bought the auto. I do not regret it one bit!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Auto vs Manual

whatroc?! said:
I just bought a new Flame red Auto and I love IT! I really was sold on a manual for the longest time and even found the one I wanted some 90 miles away. I finally decided I didn't want to teach my wife and daughter how to drive a manual so I bought the auto. I do not regret it one bit!
You are a kind and gentle person... I like the fact that I am the only one in my family that can drive the JP.... That way I can screw it up.... :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to wheel with an Auto Rubi and we tried a lot of the same stuff to see the difference. I stalled it a couple of times (ledges and 4hi) where he was able to just push on the gas (didn't get over it either), but he didn't stall. The two things that we noticed is that I could go down hill slower, but his was less jerky if you needed to stop and start on the hill. The other thing we noticed was more engine RPM's from his on climbing obstacles. Either way the differences were minor. I traded in a 3speed Auto for the manual Rubi. I decided not to wait on an Auto Rubi. That was my only reason.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ron,

Great post. I too, almost bought the 5-spd, but I'm glad I waited. This new auto has been great on the street. The 4.11 ratio is overcome by the overdrive at highway speeds, and as a result, my fuel economy seems excellent. The one other thing not mentioned about the auto, is that you have the option to switch the O/D off. This is a serious must in off road encounters. Having your tranny scramble around for O/D, at somewhat higher trail speeds, can be annoying at the least. Those Jeep engineers put a little thought into this rig!...

Roy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roy Olivieri said:
Those Jeep engineers put a little thought into this rig!...
agreed. for the first time im totally happy with a vehicle.

sure there are upgrades i want, but as stock vehicles go ive never been happier.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
keep the pro's & con's coming!!!

Please keep the input coming! This has been very helpful and informative. I would think everyone should have an idea or opinion. It is a question that each owner had reasons for buying the JEEP of their tranny choice. Manual or a new 4sp Auto? 8) 8)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I absolutely love my manual tranny. I didn't even consider the auto. I love the feeling of connectedness and the feeling that you are actually driving instead of just pointing the vehicle in a direction and hoping that everything is working well enough to do it. If the new 4-speed had been out for a little while longer I may have considered it out of pure laziness. I hate having to constantly shift on the trail. However, I have no regrets whatsoever.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have considered it out of pure laziness?

Okay, Lazy I'm not. I had the manual, and if you ever do more than just trail ride, ie rocks, you'll understand the significance of an auto. This ain't no lorry Mate!

Roy :?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uh, the guy lives in FL, so rocks will probably be the exception?

I switched my order from Auto to 5spd, just because "it's a jeep" and I don't sit in rush hour traffic with it. It's first year for this auto in the jeep and it hangs down a bit more than the 5spd, though I don't think there is much functional or reliability difference that can't be easily overcome by the driver.

So, there isn't a 'better' choice -- all personal preference. Drive both and find out what you like. If I was stuck in rush hour traffic or did rockpiles a lot, I would probably have gone with the auto.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in Florida to and agree that rocks are almost no existant. I have some gravel in my front yard :D . I really think that the auto would be a better choice for wheeling in this stuff. Sand shifts around as you drive over it. I haven't had any problems with the Manual, but I do stall it everso often.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
we have dry lake beds and sand dunes....most rest is ROCKs....more ROCKS... and bigger ROCKS.

question will always be asked "which is better"
dont think ther is a bad choice..after all its a RUBI!
:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Just like blondes, brunettes, or redheads. Take your pick. Just enjoy them.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alberta, FL???????????

I imagine there are no rocks there, but for the ones that exist in the mind...

This ain't no lorry Mate!

Roy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts