Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had the big brown truck visit me a few times last week and got most of the new stuff installed. Manik light guards to protect my lights, vent visors to keep that damn roof from pissing morning dew on me, poweraid TB spacer to see if I can improve my fuel economy, and a Prothane spacer kit.

Took a few hours to get the spacer kit installed. I have an issue with the rear though. The kit came with extended bumpstops and the instructions were to basically install the spacers first and then rebolt the bumpstop cup back on and then shove the new bumpstop into it. With the rear the bumpstop cup is flush to the top of the spring perch. The spacers ID was a bit too small to get the cup to shove through from below let alone would it make it past the lip of the cup. This would prevent me from being able to rebolt the cup to the perch. So, I put the cup on first and then greased the spacer up real good and put that back in with the spring hoping if I drop the jeep hard enough it would simply pop into a nice happy position. No go there and the spacer hasn't wiggled up enough yet to let me get the longer bumpstop in. So, I am without bumpstops presently on the rear until the spacer decides to take it in the ass so to speak. :D The fronts went on without any trouble thankfully. I did however notice my pass LCA bolt on the front had wiggled an inch out and when I looked on the other side I saw the nut had vanished. Luckily I found the nut caked with mud to the engine skid further down the side. Guess I lost it sometime long ago and fate has been with me for many many many miles.

I still have a set of KC backup lights to install on the rear to help me see better. And I also have yet to mount my old daylighters to the new A pillar light brackets I also installed. The 2003 warrior mirror brackets got sent back today as I spent alot of time on the phone with Jerry about how ugly and useless they were for the '03's redesigned mirrors. We came to the conclusion that its best to simply go with 2002 mirror brackets and find a pair of mirrors to put on them when you take your doors off.

So, after I get a kilby gas skid in the next few months all that I need is a lift setup for 35's, a snorkel, and a new front bumper. Witht he spacers and BL I can easily run 33's for quite some time. So, my question is for 35's which do you think is a better setup without removing anything on the jeep already. RE 5.5 LA or 4.5 LA? I will most likey swap out the gears for 4.56's as well.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Since you already have spacers and a BL, you will only need a 4.5 kit.
The 4.5 and 3.5 kits do have a problem with the front trackbar hitting the front diff so you would probably want to substitue a RE 1600 trackbar or a currie track bar to avoid this. With the RE 1600 or currie, you would not need to install the RE drop bracket which can [and has on some] hit your lower anti-sway bar connecting bracket. It happened to me and 2 other Rubi owners.

I have the 5.5 and love the additional height and Upward flex I get. I think I tested the COG pretty good this weekend

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't both LA kits come with front and rear adjustable trackbars? I am leaning towards the 4.5 I think. Is the only difference between the 5.5 and 4.5 the springs?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Yes they do, that is why I used the word substitute and provided the real world results some people have had with the one included in the kit.
Also, you could ask RE, but I think you will have to buy the RE 1600 yourself. Maybe they would substitute it for you??
The 5.5 kit has the longest springs and the spring rates are the same for the 4.5 and 5.5. The 3.5 kit, however, has shorter and softer springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts