Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that bump stops keep bigger tires from rubbing the hell outta your flares but if you were to run enough lift for a 35" tire but only put a 33" tire in there do you need the bumpstops. Example: putting 3.5" lift with 3/4" spaces and 1.25" BL total of 5.5" Enough to run 35's but I only want to run 33"s with lots of flex room. I would rather have more travel than the additional inch of clearance. Do I need to install the 2" bumpstop on the spring pad or not??? My thought was to go ahead and drill and tap the hole and put it all together. If I still need it I can just drop it in and tighten it up. Better safe than sorry right! But If I dont have to drill and tap I'd rather not! Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically if I do without I am wearing out my springs prematurely but getting killer flex? WHat is prematurely? 3 years, 5 yrs I can live with that. I wheel often but not every weekend so maybe I can get 7 years out of them. ANy thoughts??

·
Registered
326 Posts
The other thing the bump-stops do is prevent over-compression of the shocks. If your shocks are what is limiting your wheel travel then you will blow them fairly quickly.
Put a zip-tie around the shock shaft near the shock body, flex your rig, and see how far up the shaft the zip-tie gets pushed. For safety you should have about an inch of travel left at "stationary" full flex to absorb the extra movement you get from banging into something when wheeling.

·
Registered
843 Posts
THE IMPORTANT THING

Is to flex it on a lift and determine the component that limits flex, it should be the bumpstop by a hair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts