Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a TJ which the owner welded some aluminum extension on the bottom plate which the bumpstop hits. I thought bumpstops are extended from the top ( the yellow plastic or whatever bumpstop))? To me, it seems same effect. Am I right? Or any drawback? Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
FYI currie makes some pretty nifty bumpstops which moumt on the top and bottom, they "meet in the middle". They also incorporate spring reatainers are pretty expensive

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
RE's go on the bottom as well.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
For the rear, the bumpstop extensions can go on the top since the springs are wide enough so there shouldn't be any contact when flexed.

For the front, if the bumpstop extensions are added to the top, you will most certainly have spring to bumpstop contact during flex because the extension is now very long and the springs are so narrow. That is why most companies have an axle mount extension for the front.

I learned the hard way and had to re-do my front.

Ken

·
Registered
843 Posts
Very timely for me.

I just noticed this evening two issues with my OME lift. First is the bump stop on the drivers side. When articulated it hits the spring, but the passengers side does not. Secondly, the passenger side spring looks like it's not centered on the top mount (cup) but it is positioned correctly with the center over the cup. Bad springs? Move the bump stops to the bottom? or do I need different bump stops? Any advice or expierence would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
PJ, I moved my front stops to the bottom. I used some cylinder machined aluminum stock, drilled a hole in the center, threaded the bottom pad, and then bolted it to the bottom pad.

I had basically the same problem during flex and figured 2 shorter stops are much better than one long one.

I believe a couple hockey pucks would work just as well for the bottom. I just used them for my spare tire spacers in between the bodt and rubber mounts and they are very stout and easy to work with.

Good luck.

Ken

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks

Ken, I appreciate the response. I will look things over this evening and plan my move to the bottom. As for my other issue, the passenger rear spring, do your springs look centered? On my passenger side the spring (even though it sits in the top cone) the large flat cup looks way off center with the spring, almost as if the spring is bent or mis formed. I've sent an inquiry to ARB. I'll take a photo and post it so you can see what I mean. Other than looking funny the ride is great. Thanks again, P

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
PJ, all of my stops are centered within the springs. Probably the main reason for this is I have adjustable upper and lower CA's and they were adjusted to get the wheelbase back to original specifications. Also, I do not have a CV rear driveshaft, so the axle is not rotated up, which will move things as well.

My springs are BDS and they look centered and the same when doing a side-to-side comparison.

Sorry I can't help you with the springs, but there are lots of OME lift users here, so maybe someone like PBR Stitch, Ron, can help. He has lots of expertise in the OME area.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts