Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next on the upgrade list are front and rear bumpers. I think I want a tire carrier that swings on the bumper and I'm looking at the Rock Hard and Hansen rear bumpers. Any other favorites? I would really like a rear system with a tire carrier and antenna mounts.

Front bumper suggestions with winch mounting? I have looked around a bunch but it would be nice to have real-life recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
I LOVE my Rockhard rear bumper. 4 years later, it still works flawlessly and has NEVER rattled.

If I were to outfit another Jeep for trail use, I'd buy another Rockhard rear with swingout.

Something else to keep in mind, is to get "frame tie-ins" when doing a bumper with swingout tire carrier.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
The only choice IMO, is the Savvy line of bumpers.

The front bumper is 22lb with tow hooks, winch mount, light mounts, everything. At 22lb, it weighs less than the factory front bumper. Its made of 6061 T6 aluminum, and is designed to be run at Johnson Valley, so should have no issues structurally.

They also make a rear bumper. On this one, you have a few options. You can get any combination consisting of recovery points and/or a receiver hitch. Its also aluminum, so is a huge weight saving. The only issue you would have is the tire carrier. They will not make one with a built in tire carrier. They are going the tub mounted route for strength and simplicity.

Give Gerald a call, he can answer any of your questions. :D

http://www.savvyoffroad.com/

BTW, I just put one of the bumpers on a few weeks ago and was amazed at the precision of everything. Its nothing short of perfect!

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
The other thing to consider is "do you want a full width or a stubby front bumper"

The above is a Stubby bumper

Stubby fronts are very popular, actually a "necessity", for rock crawling.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
I really love my Garvin rear tire carrier swing-away that I purchased another.

·
Administrator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!!

I've looked at the Savvy stuff, primarily at their skid gear - very impressed with what I saw and read about. Our primary use of the Rubi will be for trails and some mild rock crawling, so I don't see a stubby in our future. I worked with 6061T6 aluminum when I made a few things for our 40' sailboat and it had a great tensile strength - we literally trusted our lives and the boat to its qualities.

I really appreciate the recommendations :)

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Hanson swings on the bumper and is also mounted on the body... unless they changed their design.

If you want a strong body mount, consider OR Fab... that'll give you a spot for gas cans too.

Bestop, I hear, is pretty decent... body mounted and opens with tailgate.

Look at M.O.R.E for a swivel on bumper design with great corner protection (MORE has a great reputation for quality): http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/B...J_Bumper_WITH_provisions_for_Tire_Carrier.htm

I know many like Shrockworks too... good corner protection with swivel on bumper dersign: http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-Tir...Jeep-Spare-Tire-rack-Swing-Away-pr-16201.html

·
Registered
459 Posts
I like the Savvy for the front and the Durango 4x4 for the rear. I use the rear to tow a travel trailer and it has held up very well.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Edmond said:
I like the Savvy for the front and the Durango 4x4 for the rear. I use the rear to tow a travel trailer and it has held up very well.
After much research I discovered that mine came with the Durango rear bumper. I emailed them with pics and they confirmed that it was an earlier one and that I could get the tire carrier for $450. Do you feel that the carrier is worth that 2 yr old price quote?

John, I hope you'll pardon the small hijack and X2 on the Savvy front! I just can't use one with my 8274 winch without modifying the mounting plate.

·
Administrator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great! Now I have more products to evaluate :)

f9 - not a problem..

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I like shrockworks which is local to me. I built my own. Also consider bserk on jeepforum. Look under the fab section and there are write-ups he's done. He is gonna be your cheapest bet, beef, and will do it custom to suit your needs.

X2 on frame tie ins. The rear crossmember is weak and will bow and crack. Mine were from comp4x4.com which was the cheapest I could find. Maybe look at atozfabrication as well.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I have the Shrockworks. Very beefy and the corner protection is great. I also have an Unlimited and drag the rear a bunch with no issues.

·
Administrator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sleepsontoilet said:
I like shrockworks which is local to me. I built my own. Also consider bserk on jeepforum. Look under the fab section and there are write-ups he's done. He is gonna be your cheapest bet, beef, and will do it custom to suit your needs.
As a matter of fact, I just got a PM from Eddie (BSERK) with his price list today. His story is fascinating - he started building bumpers in his garage while he was in the Army as a sideline a few years ago and now it's a business (and I suppose he's a civilian now.) Gotta love capitalism!

He is very competitive on price - I think I'll get at least the rear bumper from him, and maybe the front as well. I would have to paint his bumpers since he only ships bare steel, but that's no big deal.

The Shrockworks product is very impressive as well, in fact all of them I looked at seem like they would do very, very well.

Okay on tying into the frame - will do.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Rattle can, it'll cost ya $10 and easy to touch up. Powder coat is nice, but not as easy to touch up. It's as simple as a light wire brushing and spray after a wheeling trip. Looks new again.

Glad we could help, I think you'll be happy with bserk's bumper

·
Registered
220 Posts
Another vote for the Rockhard; I've done two Jamboree's with it and no rattle and no issues. RDL, I've got to get one of those, my 5 year old daughter would have loved that at Hot Springs this weekend!

Todd

·
Registered
582 Posts
Everything I have heard about bserk has been positive, and wish I would have bought from him. Instead I bought from Nates 4x4. The bumpers are pretty stout, but for the 3 month wait, I'd pass if I was going to do it over again.

·
Administrator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going to let Eddie (Besrk) build a rear bumper for me and if he can do a stinger and grill guard on the front bumper, I'll let him build that one as well. His backlog is 3-4 weeks, but I can wait.

(I like the potty accessory - that would be a huge step above some of the pit toilets I've used - phew :puppydoge )

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
johncanfield said:
Going to let Eddie (Besrk) build a rear bumper for me and if he can do a stinger and grill guard on the front bumper, I'll let him build that one as well. His backlog is 3-4 weeks, but I can wait.

(I like the potty accessory - that would be a huge step above some of the pit toilets I've used - phew :puppydoge )
You can also look at jeeptubes.com and have one added later if he doesn't.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts