Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to work on my welding skills and figured I might as well build something while I was at it. Comments, critiques and suggestions are very welcome.

I have a swing out tire carrier bearing kit ordered from Ruff Stuff. Once that arrives I will be better able to design that.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like it! Width is close to my Rock Hard, but yours terminates to more of a point than mine. After seeing this, I need to break out the old buzz box and see how rusty my skills have gotten ;).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I think I'm going to incorporate a couple gas jugs behind the spare tire. Need to pick up a couple clevis mounts too.

·
Registered
771 Posts
looks good.

Don't forget to reinforce the mounting to the rear frame rails and not the cross member if you plan to pull anything on a clevis or receiver.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Steve, will do. I plan on beefing up the bumper to frame mounting points and I will have 1/4" plate on both sides of the frame.

I wonder if it's worth the trouble to sleeve the frame attachment points...

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Looks nice! You should build a metal base for your weld table and use thicker plate.

Miller has some really, really nice welding tables - I would love to have one so I can clamp stuff anywhere on the table. There's a super good series of welding videos on YouTube, I've learned a bunch from watching this guy.

Looking forward to the tire carry part of the project.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John, yeah I need a proper welding table. That's just a sheet of 3/16 I bought for projects. I'm going to make some rock rails after I finish the bumper. I managed to convince the boss that I needed a plasma cutter last week... will wonders never cease! It's just a cheap one but hopefully it lasts for a while.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I had an inexpensive Northern Tool plasma torch and it was okay, certainly good enough for cutting brackets and such off the Jeep and whacking other stuff (magnitudes easier than using a cut-off wheel.) I thought it broke and dummy me had assembled the torch consumables wrong (I sent it to the service depot who checked it out.) I continue to amaze myself sometimes :serious:.

You will find a plasma touch an extremely useful tool for the shop.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I like the flat surface "shelf" on yours. I have a Hanson rear bumper with a similar design and the shelf really comes in handy when loading, unloading or looking for something in the back of the Jeep.. :smile2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
When ever I see these fab projects I get a little sad that I sold my machine shop. Sold everything! I see another small shop in my future. Looks like your covering all the bases on this one. You gonna mount some beefy clevises?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I left some room for the swing out tire carrier but you're right, it should be nicer get stuff out of the back. The wife's F150 has that step in the tailgate and occasionally I pull it out. Yeah yeah..... I'm not that old but I'm on the north side of 45 and the knees are worn out a bit.

I'm sorry you sold your equipment. I'm just getting a chance to build up my shop and I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to buy some longer clevises and have my buddy burn them into pieces of plate so I can put them in from the backside of the bumper. He is a certified welder and has given me some help learning. Then I'll trust the bumper for someone to pull me out.

I've got a bit more practice to do before I start welding suspension components!

Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
They say practice makes perfect, but I've been practicing my welding skills for many years and I would have to disagree. The only thing that helped me improve was technology. I actually am certified but still leave the life altering welds to my pipe fitter buddy. LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They say practice makes perfect, but I've been practicing my welding skills for many years and I would have to disagree. The only thing that helped me improve was technology. I actually am certified but still leave the life altering welds to my pipe fitter buddy. LOL
That is probably sage advice. I've been doing test pieces and pulling them apart in my press and generally the parent metal fails before the weld but not every time. I'd have to get it right every time before I would trust my welds enough to do suspension components. I can always tack everything up and trailer the jeep to my buddy or bribe him to come to my place with steak and beer...:grin2:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Looks good. I had to reinforce my rear cross member, as I tow a trailer. I bought the Genright rear cross member support. It was $149 and is a 1/4 piece that fits over the stock member, bolts through the stock holes and into the rear body mounts It is one of the best parts I have ever bought for the Jeep and is rock solid.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I like it! Width is close to my Rock Hard, but yours terminates to more of a point than mine. After seeing this, I need to break out the old buzz box and see how rusty my skills have gotten ;).
You and me both! :smile2:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the comments guys.

Effectively I have done the same thing the Genright reinforcement does. I need to throw an update pic on here. Tomorrow!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That weave is on top of a good high amperage burn. The grade 8 1/2" bolt is just because I don't want to risk anyone's safety. I know it will hold, and with that bolt it's just insurance.

I didn't get my buddy Phil to burn them in as I decided on the weld and bolt method.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts