Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 2dr Rubicon. This past weekend I had the Teraflex 2.5" lift kit installed. The Bump Stops that came with the kit are extremely long and are nearly resting on the bump pad. Has anyone had this issue with the kit? I did reach out to Teraflex and they have me so confused.

Teraflex response was:
Yes, for a stock Rubicon with plastic bumpers. Any added weight will cause compression and close the gap. Comparing the length left on the shock in the photo, and the distance I can see on the bump stop they look pretty comparable. Which is what you want. With your bump stop touching the lower bump stop pad You still have the full compression length before it bottoms out. Which if I remember is around 3 in. They are designed with a more dense foam to help soften the uptravel of the axle better than stock. Resting on the bump stops is okay, and won't cause any damage. But if your shock travel allows for more compression, then it may be worth looking into trimming those lower bump stops. All Jeeps are just a little different and based on the weight and actual lift height gained of the vehicle some components may need to be fine-tuned.

So my question still remains is am I good to go? Yes I do go off-roading - mild rock crawling and this is my daily driver. Thank you for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yes you are okay. Tera uses a progressive foam so it will compress.
Next time you are out drive a front wheel onto something steep to see if the tire stuffs into the fender enough to use up all the shock travel.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Here 20180824_185300.jpg

·
Registered
663 Posts
You look like you still have some shock travel left so if your tire isn't rubbing anywhere you could get a smaller disc to go below your foam bumper. You will have to keep a eye on everything including your brake lines so nothing gets rubbed through.
Did you have you sway bar disconnected?
I reality a person should get under their jeep after every outing to make sure nothing is out of sorts.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would eave the Tera foam bumpers in, a progressive bumper is way better. You could remove the add on aluminum stop that was bolted to your axle below the bumper. The little black puck in your picture.

·
Administrator
11,319 Posts
Well I took my Jeep out and pulled up on a rock to see what would happen.....Just doesn't seem right. Should the tire have stuffed more inside the wheel well? Thank you for your advise.
Get that tire higher up like renglish, you might be fine. I suspect you can stuff the tire quite a few more inches. When my front is fully stuffed, the bump stop is almost flat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would eave the Tera foam bumpers in, a progressive bumper is way better. You could remove the add on aluminum stop that was bolted to your axle below the bumper. The little black puck in your picture.
I wonder why they have you add that additional bumper pad on the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get that tire higher up like renglish, you might be fine. I suspect you can stuff the tire quite a few more inches. When my front is fully stuffed, the bump stop is almost flat.
I thought about that too. It's just also as you may see in the picture below I'm about 1/8-1/4" from the added bump pad and every little bump I'm riding on it....there is no leave way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
735 Posts
I know nothing about JKs but it looks like there is an extended spacer at the top, above the bump stop cup, as well as that bump stop bolted to the bottom of the spring perch... which is a lot of bump stop together. I agree with you it doesn't seem right. There are three purposes of the bump stop: 1) prevent shocks from bottoming out, 2) prevent shocks from overextending, 3) prevent tires from rubbing. I would do more research on that kit and see if perhaps they included all those parts but they don't need to be used. Ideally the shop that put on your lift kit should have tested those three aspects above with the springs removed in order to determine how much bump is actually needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts