Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other axle fell apart on the passanger side on the weekend...ears on the axles failed after one of the caps fell out...didn't catch it in time and royally fawked the axles, ball joint, knuckle...

the ears on the front axles shafts are crap

I was on flat ground with loose wet gravel ...from a stand still turned the wheel and gave it gas...lockers were not on and bang.. game over...been babying this thing since the last axle failure

enough whinning...I didn't like the suspension so I replaced it...didn't like tires so I replaced them ...time for the front axles to be replaced.

The Rubicon weak point is their front axle...I could break these things in a parking lot.

Who here has replaced their front axle shafts on a rubicon with ( stronger ) after market axles

If your axles haven't broke then stay off the thread I don't care...just remember to link to this thread for future reference...cause you axles are not going to last the warranty period ..

G

·
0 Posts
Crap

So, the folks using this thing to haul groceries really are using it as it was intended. Even beyond. Good grief!

G

·
0 Posts
know how you feel

Went wheeling a few month ago and bassiclly the same thing happend to my front axle as well. Climb a rather well..... steep hill and sliped down into the valley off to the left had to lock down both axles to get out and well by the time I made it out of the HOLE the front right half of the axle was bassiclly gone. Tore itself straight off had to have the whole freeking axle replaced becasue of that. So now I am worried about it happening again and have been babing the jeep. I am leaning much more twards just replacing the axle all together with something stronger and getting back into the real trails.

Have you desided on any particular axle yet ?

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
The 2 previous posts were made in last July. A number of members have changed to Superior axles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just saw that OX Brand had a new complete front axle set-up that they had on display at SEMA. Bolt on ear design , inner and outer, with OX U-joints. Said that they were going to focus on Wranglers first, but don't know if that includes Rubicons. Also saw some new chrome-moly steering knuckle with CV's intead of U-joints. If you got the latset JP then you've seen this also. The OX set-up sparked my interrest. All I have right now is a phone # 866-652-0414. The knuckle is at http://www.tube-works.com hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wondering out loud here...what about heat hardening the ears? I wonder if the ears were heated up nice and red then plunged into water (makes the metal less pliable...down side is it is more brittle).

Any metals experts here? :D

Ned

G

·
0 Posts
What tire size are you running?? I run 35"'s and have brutalized my Rubi with them. No probs yet.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I'm a metallurgical engineer by schooling (but don't work in the field). I would say the heat hardening would definitely increase the tensile strength, but at the cost of toughness. If you have a picture of the fractured piece, I could tell you the cause of breakage, and whether hardening would help or hinder the problem. Please don't put the end back together after they are broken, this makes it difficult to study the fracture surface.

Mel-

G

·
0 Posts
When I break one of mine, I would like a personal evaluation of it from you..... I'll just bring it over, and you can check it out.

·
Registered
740 Posts
mrladewig said:
I'm a metallurgical engineer by schooling (but don't work in the field). I would say the heat hardening would definitely increase the tensile strength, but at the cost of toughness. If you have a picture of the fractured piece, I could tell you the cause of breakage, and whether hardening would help or hinder the problem. Please don't put the end back together after they are broken, this makes it difficult to study the fracture surface.

Mel-
Would there be much distortion doing this? Do you think it would help much with the broken shafts?

Thanks for the insight!

G

·
0 Posts
WOW that is a lot of great info on OX and new axle ideas if I go with that upgrade.

I do have pics of where it split but it will take me a day or so to find them and get them uploaded

G

·
0 Posts
I ahve to say that you guys are freakin me out. I've wanted nothing but a Rubi from day one because of the front 44 and now I'm reading that they're blowin up! Is it still worth the cost or should I just buy a sport and upgrade it? Just wondering since some of you have had problems.

G

·
0 Posts
I would still buy a Rubicon. The front axle failures seem to happen to the same people. I'm not insinuating driving style or that they did anything wrong. I do chalk things up to just bad luck. Either way the upgrade to superior shafts isn't that expensive.

Ron

·
Registered
416 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Either way the upgrade to superior shafts isn't that expensive.

Ron

Dude, where are you getting them that they are not that expensive. I can do a front hub conversion cheaper than new front shafts.....

G

·
0 Posts
jeeps4fun said:
I ahve to say that you guys are freakin me out. I've wanted nothing but a Rubi from day one because of the front 44 and now I'm reading that they're blowin up! Is it still worth the cost or should I just buy a sport and upgrade it? Just wondering since some of you have had problems.
Well don't freak out, even if in the long run that ends up being true. DC is selling the crud out of Rubicons, I am sure many after market upgrades, that bolt / slide right in will be comming out very soon for them.

In the mean time, I have bought all but the short side front and carry them when doing the most extreme Rock Crawling with the Rubi. I have not needed them yet, and that is just a ton of extreme wheeling with them.

They do call me a "Gracefull" wheeler though, so to some, I'll bet they'd say I baby it most all the time.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
High Ranger said:
[quote="PBR Stitch":yecxbsmb] Either way the upgrade to superior shafts isn't that expensive.

Ron

Dude, where are you getting them that they are not that expensive. I can do a front hub conversion cheaper than new front shafts.....[/quote:yecxbsmb]

$660 from Northridge 4x4.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts