Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Looks like you're picking it up pretty well. I don't use my TIG enough to be proficient. I'm hoping to get better once my shop is built and I have more dedicated room to work in.

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
Very nice stacked dimes, like Don it looks better than my TIG welding. I always have trouble with the electrode/work piece getting contaminated in spite of my prep with acetone, etc.

I did some aluminum welding a few weeks ago, made a base frame for one of those large black mailboxes you find in a DIY store. They are so flimsy they easily get beat up so I was determined to armor plate my new one. I cut an aluminum plate for the base and lined the door with plate. The mailbox cost about $35 but I spent $100 on aluminum 😊.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like you said, touching and contaminating the electrode is irritating. I walked away a few times. Once I booger’d up the torch and thought I broke the machine because it wouldn’t make an arc. I took apart and cleaned the torch and all worked well again. At one point the ceramic cup broke from the heat. It must have had a crack. I have a new appreciation for my straight forward stick welder, but I’m gonna press forward patiently.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,134 Posts
Looking good.
I am happy I have friends that can weld
Because I can not. Once I get old like you guys, I will buy a welder and play around more
[This is funny because I am 53 and also old :LOL:]
You can translate that to, Elff is jealous of people who are retired and living an awesome post work life

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
My pyro buddy used to fill balloons with acetylene and place some kind of fuse in the neck of the balloon or maybe a firecracker. He said the explosion in the air was something to behold 😎

1 - 14 of 14 Posts