Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a rough road to a camp and went to steer a curve, but uh oh, the Jeep continued straight. I found out one of the spline joints had slipped apart. Apparently there’s too much angle where the lower steering shaft turns to go down to the PSC shaft. Just below that U-joint is a spline joint with a set screw. The set screw failed from wear. The spline joint slipped from wear and separated during road articulation. It’s the “what ifs” that are sobering, but thankfully those didn’t happen.

It’s like a driveline angle issue, but with the steering shaft. Any thoughts?

·
3,464 Posts
Glad you made it through the failure safely. Probably need to see the steering shaft to make any recommendations. If the steering box is in the stock position and you're using the stock steering shaft, it's hard to make the alignment bad enough for a problem. Are you running a body lift that changed the steering shaft angle?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’ll post some pics as soon as I can. I do have a body lift and I think I put an adapter on the bushing supporting the shaft to the fender.

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I installed this shaft, I left the joint In question as from the factory. I looked back at my install thread and saw that I loosened the slip joint above because the shaft was into the u-joint and interfering with articulation. Now I’m wondering if it was a mistake to not go over all joints rather than assume they were set correctly being that one joint needed to be adjusted to work correctly.
My plan is to pull the shaft and examine if all the spline joints can have more purchase. I’m concerned about the angle at the u-joint. I installed it three years ago. Here’s the install thread Borgeson lower shaft install with M.O.R.E. bracket
Current pictures...

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And for those wondering, this shaft will be trashed for safety.

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
I'm still running the stock steering shafts which seemed to do okay with 35" tires (I have a 1" or 1.25" body lift - forgot.) Low speed maneuvering was quite difficult with 35s so when I went to 37s, I had Blaine (mrblaine) install hydro assist and a larger PSC pump.

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great to hear about your stock shafts. I saved my old one and will reinstall it. The only reason I changed to Borgeson was that my original had 17 years of hard work. I’m on 33s and if it fits my setup I’ll buy a stocker. One benefit of the stock shaft is no set screws.

I‘m open to anything.

·
3,464 Posts
Doesn't the body lift include a block to lift the steering shaft to keep the angle acceptable? You could probably get away with using that shaft if you can get complete spline engagement. I believe the upper steering shaft is collapseable/extendable, which might give you the ability to get full spline engagement here.

When I converted my TJ to hydraulic assist, using a PSC box, I had to remove the shaft and drill some plastic plugs in the steering shaft to get it to collapse (the steering box was larger than the original).

I have to believe this should be fairly easy to fix. After seeing this, it is a good thing you got off the trial safely.

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You were right about it being an easy fix. I pulled the shaft and fully seated the splines. You can see in the picture that the set screw was barely hanging on. There is a mark further in where the set screw may have been, but there’s no damage between them like it dragged to the position before it failed. The shafts telescoped out fine to accommodate the new position. I do remember drilling out the plastic pin. Back then I also installed the M.O.R.E relocation bracket for the body lift. I’ll keep an eye on the repair.

·
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I failed to mention the guy I was with tore a hole in his VW Jetta‘s transmission pan. Epic trip.

·
3,464 Posts
Glad the fix was easy. The oil pan looks bad - how did he manage that?

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 13 of 13 Posts