• Haha
Reactions: bbusch and elff

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Yup

in PA they retire custom plates for something like 10 years. About 2 months ago I randomly checked to see if it was available again and was surprised it was, so I immediately sent in an application for it and it finally arrived yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Yesterday, A friend and myself replaced the front radius arms [Upper and Lower] and the lower rear control arms with all new ones.
We used a ton of anti seize and greased all of the joints before putting them on the jeep. Decided to leave the Tri Link Install for another day.
Minor stuff was configuring the handheld GMRS radio I have, spooling the new synthetic line on my winch under load, and greasing everything that could be greased.
One last thing that needs to be done is swapping out the rear sway bar links. They are just too short and at would be a serious limiter of axle articulation. When I raise the AiRock all the way, the swaybar is pointing straight up. I have a pair of longer ones on the way.

November 13th will be the first time I take him Rock Crawling. Going to AOAA in PA. Can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
New Rear Swaylinks were installed. I got the ones from RE that were for their 5.5" kit. They were 11.5" center of eye to center of eye. Had to get 4 new stock bolts and 2 flange nuts. Fortunately my friend had the uppers and I just needed to buy 2 lower and 2 nuts cause they ain't cheap!!

I also removed the steering stabilizer. Not sure if I will put another one on. I kind of like not having one because it will show if you have any slop in the steering and front trackbar. The ORO kit with @Elwarpo 's upgraded heim joint ends is dead on, so I am not worried. This beast drives amazing on the road.

Friend who helped me put on the control arms, is going to upgrade his cage to a Poison Spyder. When he begins that work, I am going to buy his Rockford 4x4 stuff for 50% less than what it would cost to get it new. It includes the frame tie ins and the diagonal bars behind the center. Only thing I need to add is the bar that attaches around the curve.
That will look great and add the level of safety I want. Purchase price includes installation help. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
@Elwarpo

Off road , this jeep is [email protected]$$.
Yesterday it started off raining, then changed to snow flurries for about 30 minutes. By 2pm, it was sunny and about 20 degrees warmer. Welcome to PA weather. LOL
All of the rocks were soaked and while others struggled, I just crawled over everything. It was like riding a bike since the build is just about identical to my original AiRock.

I remember someone asking about steering systems.
The ORO steering was impressive offroad. This jeep turns so well offroad. There were times when I had the front locked, and while other people were making 3-5 point turns, I actually cut the corner.

The Yokohama Tires were aired down to 15psi, since I was not sure how well they would hold a bead. That worked very well. They wrapped around the rocks and never had traction issues. They did well in the dirt and conquered a really steep coal dusty dirt climb of about 1/4 mile in length

No issues all day, drove there 2hrs and drove home 2hrs

I have the next 2 days off, so I will get the jeep cleaned up and then I am doing some mild 4wheeling next weekend with some friends that don't have lockers.

But great day of wheeling. Super happy, and all day got the typical fanfare.
"That is sick"
"I can't believe your jeep can do that"
"Watching it go over the rocks just looks smooth"

Nice to know I still know how to drive. :cool:

OOO one last note. The Rear Locker light worked all day. 🤷‍♂️
I am glad I did not put any effort into troubleshooting that.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Cleaning off all of the Coal unfused mud and recalibrating the AiROCK made that a zero issue.

I got a chance to use my Q-tec winch. It worked fantastic. We were on a Black Trail that was off camber on a hill and my buddy slid on a rock and got pinned with his front fender touching a tree and his rear tire about to fall off a rock which was dangerous close to a roll over.

We decided to use a snatch block and attach to his rear tow point at a 45 degree angle to make sure when he reversed there was zero chance of him sliding to the right.

Worked like a charm. The wireless controller is the bomb

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
It was Too damn cold, so no one was out taking them while on the trails, but here are some at the campsite before we started and before it started to rain.
{I did not camp this time, but I am definitely buying a Tent, tarp and sleeping bag The campsite here was awesome, had a porta potty, electric and running water. No showers but it is camping so that's normal.}
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

And this was weird, but actually part of one of the trails. It ended where the water comes out of an underground river.
It just started to warm up at this point and we took a quick break so I snapped a pick after I got into the gully.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Yes
It was my first time there, so I am not as familiar with it as Rausch Creek. I am hoping to change that by going there a whole bunch now.
I believe the off camber trail where we had to do the winching was Trail 36.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Meeting up with some friends who don't have lockers to do some green trails this weekend at Rausch Creek.
then doing a bunch of black rated trails on Black Friday at AOAA with a club I used to be part of.
Not too shabby getting out 3 times this month.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Spent the day watching some videos and then programmed my Baofeng BF-F8HP dual band radio for a bunch of stuff.
This was very easy with the CHIRP software and a PC03 cable. So now I have all of the FRS and GMRS channels programmed as well 10 weather channels and a bunch of repeaters local to my house and to the locations where I Rock Crawl.
This was Geeky Fun.
Gotta figure out how I want to mount this inside the jeep without drilling anything.

Tomorrow is easy day with the locker-less friends.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Waiting for some pics from friends but we had a hell of a lot of fun yesterday. Did some really cool stuff that pushed the limits.
Popped a U-joint cap on the front D.S.
That sure made a racket, but I was able to get off the trails without it going completely south. Even did a full black trail with it like this.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting

I had ordered a Tom Wood's spare from Clayton, but delivery got pushed out to next week.
[Cheaper and free shipping for the same part dropped shipped directly from Tom Woods]
Once that arrives, I will swap, repair this one, check it for balance and make it my spare.

I will be getting a Tow Rig beginning of 2022, but since I don't have one at the moment, this is how I drove the jeep home.
:cool:
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Metal Auto part

101 - 120 of 127 Posts