Rubicon Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Did some real work this weekend.

I noticed the newer aircraft nuts on the current SwayLoc did not have enough clearance on the bumper. I was also worried about the grease fitting on the driver side. Sooooo I broke out the cutting wheel and opened up the rectangles a little more.

Once I was done with that, and the paint dried, I finally installed my winch. Apparently it is a villain from Star Trek
:ROFLMAO:

I gotta say, I really like this front bumper. Perfect for mounting a winch, built in mount for the fairlead, great weight and width and the bar is the correct height to protect the winch

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Now you need a thimble for your winch line. (winch line shackle)
Absolutely, I'm getting the following

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
That's basically the style and dimensions of the Savvy bumper I had on my LJ - I think it has the perfect attributes for a rock crawler.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Very true. It's not in the way of the front tires. A wider bumper can kill the approach angle.
Looks awesome to boot!!
:cool:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
It is a Rockhard front bumper.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Todays task was to install this

Which means I had to take off the doors for the first time in this Jeeps life.
Since I am short, and they were really on there, I had to get creative.
This is how I did it.

Removing the old bushing was a beotch, but this was well worth it. Now they slide in and off super easy.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Second or third time, took the. Off once or twice in 04...

Reactions: bbusch and Mouse

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The door pin nuts had zero scratches on them. I am not sure these ever came off.
Jeeperman Skids for the win. :ROFLMAO:

I sent Steve @ ORO a Birthday list and I have some Rubicon Express parts on the way.
They have an interesting Triangulation setup that I am going to test. If I don't like it, I can revert back to a track bar and standard upper control arms.
It's a neat design I just hope it's strong enough compared to welding on a truss. Requires drilling out 2 bolts to a larger size and drilling 4 new holes.

I had to back off the emergency brake and no longer use it. In order for it to hold the vehicle [Barely, this is a TJ] it was not fully releasing. I forgot how crappy that design is. I'll attempt to replace it with a whole new connector between the hand brake and the cables going to the rear wheels, but only because that is a state inspection requirement.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Back then a company made a plastic wrench for the nuts so the paint would not get damaged. It worked well. Similar to this plastic 13mm wrench

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Interesting. That would do it.

So the insert kit came with these for free.
At first I thought it was just a gimmick, but it is amazing how easy it makes putting the doors back on. The extra length allows you to just slide in the top one, and then you can line up the bottom one and slide it down.
Tin Cylinder Household hardware Silver Gas

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
You do, transparent aluminum...trekkies will get it...

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I'll have to try that with any cop that pulls me over. I think if I get side mirrors, that possibility will be less.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Met another 04 Rubicon Owner at Rausch Creek Yesterday. Very well built one and used as it's supposed to be. Nice Gentleman and of course I am an idiot and already forgot his name. he is a member on here, so hopefully he will see this thread and respond. It would be really cool to hit the trails with him.

I was helping out as a Judge at the Rock Crawling competition I used to do so I had a ton of stuff on my mind.
Hot day but super fun.

Second 200 mile Drive in a single day for the current Jeep and it drove like a champ. Only need one hand on the wheel as it is so freaking stable.
Put it on cruise control on the way home and blasted the AC because I was super hot after standing in the sun all day.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
I spent a lot of time getting the onroad drive nice but still having offroad performance. Took a lot of time but i had no issues cruising at 80-85 mph driving it up to you.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts