Rubicon Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Pics are not great but here are a couple

I messed up on the one measurement and added a spacer.
now that this one is built. I can replicate with better cuts and I will extend it to protect the wires and air line better.
but all in all, not bad for my first attempt

Fixture Vehicle Gas Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Road surface Stairs Asphalt Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I just got my Poison Spyder rear bumper

HOLY CRAP do they include a **** ton of mounting bolts. Do they seriously expect you to drill 12 additional holes in the rear cross member? Plus 1 from under each frame rail?
This is just one side

@bbusch How many of those did you end up using?

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
Is that the inside of the bumper in the pix?

Reactions: mac

·
3,746 Posts
I just moved the rear bumper from my TJ to my CJ-8. There were at least 14 bolts holding it to the frame. But that bumper has been hauling a 40 inch tire for 10 years and had no failures. Try to get as many of those bolts in as you can. Spreading the load is good for the frame.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Only problem with that is, I would have to drop the gas tank skid to attach the nuts.
Not sure, but don't think, I could reach the bolts from the top of the crossmember. I could be wrong and can re-check.
I've actually never used middle bolts on any bumpers. I've normally only used the 2 outside ones with both of them tied into the frame [That's already done. Thanks Elwarpo] and the ones underneath the frame rail where the stock tow hook got attached to. So that's a total of 6 with frame re-inforcements.

My last bumper, wasn't really a bumper, it was just a Crossmember re-inforcement from Gen Right.

·
Administrator
15,180 Posts
curious how your gonna paint all that ....
Elwarpo is the paint GURU
set me on the right path a few times (y)

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I gave up on power coating anything that will be scraped by a rock. Once the integrity of the power coating is broken it goes to hell.
So I will just prep it and paint it with a rust preventative paint and when needed, sand down small sections and repaint.
Since it's a bumper, I don't have to do anything crazy.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So I am pretty happy with the paint work I did today.
I never got around to installing the new SwayLoc, which means I passed on the winch, but I did get the rear bumper installed and put the front bumper back on. All bolts had a bunch of anti seize put on them. I PB Blasted the Swayloc stuff to get it ready for removal.
The Rear bumper was super tight, I was lucky I have a really long jack. It ended up being the perfect length to raise it and allow me to line up the bolts. If my rear crossmember had one more coat of paint, I don't think it would have fit.
LOL

Anyway PICTURES

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Looking good, firs time she has had rust free bumpers in years lol

• Haha
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
HAHAHA
Yea, giving her loads of love!

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I just got my Poison Spyder rear bumper

HOLY CRAP do they include a **** ton of mounting bolts. Do they seriously expect you to drill 12 additional holes in the rear cross member? Plus 1 from under each frame rail?
This is just one side
View attachment 76091

@bbusch How many of those did you end up using?

Naw you got to take several of those out man. Use the two bottom ones and the two most outer ones on each side. lol

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
So you got it on. You could drop the tank and add more but not really necessary. Make sure you use a frame tie-in pair for the upper bolts. That PSC bumper goes well with the front bumper, we probably got them from the same batch they recently turned out.

I have decided to go with the Metal Cloak rear carrier they recently debuted. It attaches to the corners/tub and looks badass imo.

Jeep looks amazing btw.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The 2 outermost bolts are tied into the frame.
I realized I was over thinking it. All Jeeps attach the front bumper via 3 Bolts and we all winch from that bumper.
Therefore, attaching the rear bumper, with 3 bolts, 2 outside with frame tie-ins and one under each frame rail, should be more than enough as it duplicates the front bumper connection and strength.
So that's what I did

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Someone, somewhere is probably going to get offended by this, but to hell with it.

BLM
Black Lugs Matter
:ROFLMAO:

So just like everything else, lug nuts are in short supply, so these were in stock so I snagged them. Doesn't really bother me, and now I can say my Jeep is all inclusive. LOL

The reason behind this is I finally got around to installing my SpiderTrak 1.25" spacers which now has me at the perfect backspacing and full turning radius again

Wheel poke is less than I remember, so hopefully the Po Po don't give me a hard time. Normally that only occurs if I drive through the local university because those guys are a pita.

The rear tire installed on a stock tire carrier.

It is no quite supported by the bumper, so that kind of failed, but that hitch will protect it from rocks. The body lift is the height difference.

And some glamor shots from the same angles as previously to have a timeline of updates. Next up is installing the latest gen Swayloc.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
New Swayloc is installed, but I have to troubleshoot why it will not work with the AiRock. Works fine via it's button on the actuator and if I wire in the provided switch for non AiRock owners. But it will not activate on either 2 prong connector on the AiROCK harness. I'll be digging into that this week, but not a major issue as I can install the manual switch anytime I need it.

I will say, getting the old one off was not an easy task. Loctite aint **** compared to rust. LOLOLOL.
I do like the way the new arms connect, but ORO could use some better pictures and directions. Nothing horrible, but If I ever help someone install one of these, I will do a couple things differently. Specifically, I will mount the driver side arm to both the inner and outer torsion bars and THEN slide them through the frame tube.

Anyway, PICTURES
Driver Side

Passenger Side

41 - 60 of 84 Posts