Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
It's front
I Just installed this kit in the front
Automotive lighting Product Orange Amber Toy

I already had the ORO Rear Taillights installed
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fruit

With the ORO Flasher

Camera accessory Audio equipment Electronic device Font Box

Which has 1 part number that is the same as the model Genright sells
GCD-TJ0106
Circuit component Font Passive circuit component Rectangle Electronics accessory

But the part number in yellow is different
D0209 vs. D0216

So I thought I had myself covered because Genright has this blurb on their light page
A modified flasher unit or “electronic” flasher will be required to make LED lights flash.

Which is why I thought I may have blown the relay which is a common failure with what I have been seeing.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
my memory, as it is, was that the really worked for my rear LEDs, but not the front. I had to do a load resistor to make the fronts work correctly. I actually just put in one normal bulb on each side for some time. On the TJ, there is a load resistor, Ill go look and see what color wire I have it on.

looking at the service manual, it points to the MF switch or the flasher for on but no flash.

just looked on the TJ, it has the fancy 3 wire LED marker/turn led. I have the following, and removed the original connector.
Black/Yellow, which should be the parking lights (forgot post connector)
Tan, right turn signal, post connector WT/TN
Gray, left turn signal, post connector WT/LG

The floating flasher is the pain, as the ground floats between the normal bulbs. I skipped this alternating method.

So, on to the load resistor, I basically connected the Tan and Gray to ground via a load resistor, independently. That fixed my front flashing issue.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
So in the wiring picture i posted earlier
Could I cross connect the brown to the black wire with a resistor on the one side and the gray to the black wire with a resistor
Or should I run one side of the resistor to a ground on the body or frame?

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
The black wires are the ground and I could tap both quite easily.
ok next question
Do you have a recommendation for the resistors?

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
lots of options for resistors, can even get them generic and not packaged.

as I said, I think the constant on thing from the front indicators is not fixed by the relay, but these load resistors. Its what I had to do. Hoping I didn't take you down the wrong road.

glad you got something ordered.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Stupid resistors had some shipping glitch so they never arrived.
looks like the company sent a second set, which is cool because I did not ask, and they should arrive this week.

I did get to wheel today and really pushed it on the 37s. Took about half a day to get them broken in. Had to heat them up on some steep rocks to burn off the out layer a bit and played around with the PSI. I started at 10psi, dropped down to 8psi and then they finally started wrapping around stuff. It still amazes me that the stock Rubicon Rims can hold a bead at under 10psi.

Ran into couple situations where I would have smacked a flare, but I don't have them anymore.
Muhahahaha.

I had a friend ride with me and he took some pictures and videos. Hopefully they do a good job portraying the difficulty. I will upload them as soon as he texts them over.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
37s on my previous LJ was a great size tire which combined with a 4 link rear let me wheel with confidence with the big boys on hard trails. I built up my skill level starting on 32s which made you pick the right line or go home :giggle:.

I had to keep dropping tire pressure on my Nittos before they would hook up - I think I found 6 to 8 psi was the sweet spot for that particular tire. Yes indeed - the Moab rims are quite excellent at holding a bead! Well done Jeep!

If you need resistors I have an extensive collection...

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Something happened to my order AGAIN, on the resistors.
I will let them try and figure it out.
Some pics and vids from this weekend
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

Plant Plant community Tree Outdoor recreation Natural landscape

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Car

I have some video's but I gave up on both Youtube and Vimeo.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I don't have springs.
:cool:
If you really zoom in, you will see that the upper Airbag Mount is angled and lines up the Airbag with the axle mount. That keeps the bag moving vertically when the axle droops.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

I wish I had a better picture of the rear axle drooping from the side to show it's lining up well. Maybe this zoomed in angle helps show it better.
Next time out, I'll hop on the RTI ramp and take my own picture

[Edit added a zoomed in picture]

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Hmmmm

I just tried adding the resistors and it didn't help. I was testing on the right side of the picture below.

Product Orange Font Line Circle

It could be that I bought the wrong resistors??? They are 50W 6ohm

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Hmmmm

I just tried adding the resistors and it didn't help. I was testing on the right side of the picture below.

View attachment 77407

It could be that I bought the wrong resistors??? They are 50W 6ohm
You most likely have them wired incorrectly. I may have time this afternoon to go and look at mine. I do remember that they were kind of a pain to wire correctly and I may have wired the side marker light on the same circuit as the turn signal.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I have them wired exactly like this picture as I had these exact color wires and it was the only way they would light up at all.

Product Orange Font Line Circle

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Yes

so what is a little confusing in the Genright picture is their wires are both White and Yellow.
Yellow is positive, white is ground.

So using this picture
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Amber Font Audio equipment

I tried going from the Jeep Harness Gray Wire to resistor to Jeep Harness Black Wire
I also tried
Jeep Harness Black/Yellow Wire to resistor to Jeep Harness Black Wire
as well as
Jeep Harness Gray Wire to resistor to ground

I will say, those warnings about the resistors getting hot is legit.

With the GenRight kit, you do not use the 2 wires that go to the bulb that plugs into the stock triangle shaped side light on the stock jeep flare

Typing that made me think of something.

I have always had a bulb plugged into that socket and get the above issue. I just removed the bulb and the small circular light goes out with the normal parking lights turned on. When I hit the turn signal, I get a faint glow from the bulb.

I am going to try and re-add the resistor from the Jeep Harness Gray Wire to resistor to Jeep Harness Black Wire
and re-test

I think that may be it.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
I don't have springs.
:cool:
If you really zoom in, you will see that the upper Airbag Mount is angled and lines up the Airbag with the axle mount. That keeps the bag moving vertically when the axle droops.
Ah, forgot you had the AirRock.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
This is what the top of the Rear AirBags looks like
Composite material Nickel Rectangle Auto part Cylinder

And my experiment with the bulb did not work.
I am going to call Genright as I have followed their directions exactly.

I ordered some 3 wire 3/4" lights that will match up directly with the Jeep harness.

201 - 220 of 251 Posts